Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jake579

looking for specific info on each tilandsia species

jake579
9 years ago

Hello all :) first off I'd like to say thank you for reading this, second I would like to note I'm new to the tilandsia world although I know the general dos and donts. I have about ten different species of tilandsia and I do know the names, of all except two. I would like to know some species specific information to better help me care for these plants. if anyone knows some info or thinks they do ill type up some names lol thanks again - jake
P.s. I'm from maine so they live inside for 10 months out of the year.

Comments (10)

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

I know this might not be much help...but the best source is where you bought/got them if they were healthy

• jake579
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought them from an online shop, the most info they had given me was rather generalized and only talked about origins....which I guess could help fill in the extra spaces if I sat and thought about the climates. they are all healthy as far as I can see, I only lost one of the ten I bought due to rot...prolly my fault anyways lol.

• jake579
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I bought them from an online shop, the most info they had given me was rather generalized and only talked about origins....which I guess could help fill in the extra spaces if I sat and thought about the climates. they are all healthy as far as I can see, I only lost one of the ten I bought due to rot...prolly my fault anyways lol.

• rpwalton
    9 years ago

I don't know of any site with specific culture info for each species...
    That comes from your own experience, or can be gleaned from studying the native climate of that species as you mentioned.
    Your biggest challenge is growing them indoors 83% of the year....
    I would think that would require supplemental lighting for starters.
    Peyton

• debbyabq
    9 years ago

I suggest this site: http://tropiflora.com/shop.cfm Tillandsias are listed under Bromeliads on the list on the viewer's left-hand side. A lot of very interesting information. http://airplants4u.com/ has a lot of info and pictures, too. http://plantoddities.com/ is interesting and the manager helpful via email. When I started getting seriously into tillandsias, I collected a lot of information and pictures, and started making up my own digital book. It's a huge pdf now! Also upon getting orders, I would set up my camera and pose the plants with their name tags (or whatever form of ID came with the shipment) and a ruler (to help show the plant's size) and take pictures of them for future reference. That doesn't work very well with ionanthas since many of those all pretty much look alike in the long run, but it can be helpful with other plants.

• splinter1804
    9 years ago

Hi everyone.

DebbyAbq - Although I'm a brom hobbyist, Tillandsias aren't my preferred plants, however this doesn't stop me from admiring them or any other plant that appeal to me.

The web addresses you have given would be of great assistance to any Till. grower and thanks for sharing it.

You seem to be a very organized person (wish I was) and say you've made your own digital book and it's a huge pdf now!

What a great idea, if only we could all do the same thing. My question is, when will it be published and on sale to fellow Tillandsia growers?

All the best, Nev.

• naoh123
    9 years ago

Some "generally specific" advice for you considering your location: Sunlight intensity this far north of the equator is considerably weaker than the native regions for tillandsias. I've found that even the clearest and hottest of summer days out here do no harm to any of my tillandsias, including those that prefer shadier conditions. With such a short window for outdoor growing I wouldn't by shy about making sure they get as much sunlight as possible.

• jake579
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for sharing those links, ill be sure to check them out later!! and thanks for the feedback to everyone else, I can't wait for the blooms, and I agree about the ioanthas they all look the same I'm glad they came with a plant I'd, I think I have 4 or 5 different ioantha species.

• User
    9 years ago

Werner Rauh's book 'Bromeliads for the Home, Garden and Greenhouse' is about as species specific for cultural requirements for Tillandsias as any book published. Out of print but still available online.

• debbyabq
    9 years ago

Splinter, where folks often save newspaper clippings and magazine articles and maybe print out web pages, I have just gathered all the info and stuck it one place, a Word 2000 doc that I can update (and pdf for putting on a Tablet if I want to). I wish I could publish such a thing but as it's mostly a compilation of tips from internet sources (plus my own pictures), well... The airplants4u site has posted pictures of tillandsias on flickr pages (https://www.flickr.com/photos/10426408@N04/sets/72157608005800108/detail/) and I PDFed those pages (using software CutePDF for windows) to save for future reference. Hmm, I'm going to have to investigate that site some more, as it has been updated since I last shopped there last year...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions