Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
proletariatcsp

Is Pineapple ripe, (transplant?)

proletariatcsp
16 years ago

I purchased a pineapple from HD about 4 months ago. I transfered it to a 5gal. w/ MG-potting mix. It quickly tripled in size and the fruit grew a little larger than a softball. It is now deep amber/orange though still very firm. Is it ready to be cut?, and if so, should remove the mother plant and replant the fruit top? The mother plant hasn't grown any suckers, so I worry if I leave it after cutting the fruit it will only die. Thank you all for your help. And good luck with your harvest this year! Sincerely, Chris in Largo.

Comments (6)

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    16 years ago

If it smells ripe and the fruit even starts to nod-pick fast!...letting it stay even few days will make it over ripe.

• phee78
    16 years ago

Do pineapples pup from the base of the plant, as well as from the base of the actual fruit, (I know I've seen photos of the latter)?

Obviously, I'm no expert on pineapples, but I'd leave the fruit on as long as possible. If it starts getting soft and squishy, then I'd definitely lop it off and replant the top.

• scaldude
    16 years ago

"stanofh" is right, if it smells sweet, it's VERY RIPE. If it's amber, my guess is it's ready anyway...and yes, you want the pineapple to be firm. Commercial Pineapples are picked green, and although they will get more "juicy" after they're picked, they do not continue to ripen...due to you waiting to harvest when it's amber, it will probably be less acidic & less tart than the ones in the grocery store.

Typically, pineapples don't push pups until they're 2-3 years old. If your plant wasn't 3 feet across when you purchased it, it's not mature...the nursery used ethylene gas to force it to fruit (a trick plantations use to manipulate their growing season), this explains the small fruit.

The best part, you can grow another plant from the crown of the fruit...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pineapple Propagation

• jmach
    16 years ago

I have a question about this also. I just picked my pineapple, but it was a very small fruit, only about 2". It was very yellow and very sweet-smelling however, and I did not want it to rot.

I purchased my pineapple plant from Meijer (a regional chain similar to Wal Mart) and it is about 1.5 feet across, maybe 2 at most. Does that mean that it will not produce shoots before it dies?

I was curious as to if they would be produced before the pineapple was ripe or after it was picked, but mine has not started growing any yet. Do you think I'll be able to get some more plants out of it? If I can get to a garden center I am going to plant the top tomorrow.

Also, I have read that in order to produce a full-size fruit, the plant needs to get about 6 feet across. As I live in a college dorm-type place, this is not possible. Is it safe to assume that the size of the pineapple is directly related to the size of the plant, or will the fruit be almost too small to eat unless the plant is full-size?

It is too bad that I live in Michigan - I was sucked in by the novelty of a pineapple plant at the store, but the more I have read about them, the more I think, "I wouldn't mind growing a patch of them in the yard at my parent's house".

Thank you for your help!

• scaldude
    16 years ago

Pineapples are great container plants and really don't need anything larger than a 5 gallon pot. Mine mature (fruit naturally) when 3 feet across and 2-3 years old.

The plant should not die after fruiting, but because it only fruits once, it will propagate by growing suckers. Judging from your description, your plant is still young and may take 2 years before propagating...just get a whole pineapple from Meijer's and root that crown instead of waiting for pups...when selecting one, check the leaves to make sure they don't pull-out when lightly tugged.

• proletariatcsp
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey all, thanks so much for the replies! I have since removed the fruit, simply by giving it a twist and snaped it off. It was delicious, though somewhat "woody" in texture. I carefully removed the crown and planted it in a small container. It took to root quickly is now about 15-18in. across and 10in. tall. The leaves are a little yellow, maybe from the cold snap we've had lately. Otherwise it looks healthy.
    The mother plant- After removing the fruit I decided to leave the plant grow, though i was doubtful it would survive. The stem from the pineapple dried up and the leaves began to get holes in them. I thought it would die for sure. Than the other day when I was moving it, I noticed that one of the leaves at the base had began to split. And there between the split leaf was another cluster of leaves growing right from the main plant. Well needless to say I began bringing it indoors at night when the temp. drops. I noticed with the change in weather it uses very little water and tolerates the cold at least around 50F. Growing has almost stopped except for the sucker, and the mother plant is about 2-2 1/2 ft. wide. Good luck with your pineapples and don't give up hope like I did! Thanks again everyone. Sincerely, Chris in FL.

Sponsored
More Discussions