Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Starting a cryptanthus collection

Posted by clumsygrdner 6 Central Kentucky (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 2, 09 at 9:10

Martha Stewart Living features an indoor succulent garden in her September issue and I was wanting to give it a try. Cryptanthus looks like a colorful yet simple way to do this. I have only one very large window that faces east. I want to place my collection there.
I'm planning on putting the plants in 8 inch pots on a large bench. The pots will all be the same but I want a variety of Cryptanthus. Unfortunately, I have been unable to find them locally.

Soil will be just African violet soil with a slow release even number fertilizer mixed in it.

Are there any tips you could give me to help grow Cryptanthus well? And do you know of some online or mail order sources for Cryptanthus?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Starting a cryptanthus collection

When you say you're going to use 8" pots, do you mean a grouping in each pot or just one per pot? Crypts are small plants. I generally grow them in 4-5" pots, maybe 6" max. You could do a dish garden grouping of 3 in an 8", but in that case it would be better to use a shallow pot, like a bulb pan.

They aren't really succulents and don't like to dry out much. They don't like to be out in full sun either, but indoors in a bright window should be fine. Try Michael's Bromeliads or Tropiflora for mail order. Both are online.

o
RE: Starting a cryptanthus collection

Thanks for the information!

I thought they were succulents because they were listed in a page about them...

Also, thanks for the sizing. I have one large window but if necessary, I can move the crypts away from it a little. The can hang out with the snake plant I just bought.

I'll look at those vendors. Thank you!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here