Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aechmea recurvata?

Posted by pbunch Intermediate Tropica (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 20, 08 at 10:39

I have a small growing Aechmea I would like to ID. It has strongly recurved leaves with substantial spines. The base of the leaf blade, where itattaches to the sheating portion of the leaf is swollen in a sculpted triangular formation. The inflorescense is barely exserted from the rosette. The bracts are red and the mature fruit is almost black in color.Would this be A. recurvata?

Thanks,
Phil Bunch
Medellin

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aechmea recurvata?

It does sound like Ae. recurvata, Phil, but without a picture it's hard to be sure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ae. recurvata

o

Thanks. After doing some searching for images I'm comfortable with Ae. recurvata.

I have several of these and they are currently planted in a rather heavy potting medium. I'm going to replant them into something with better drainage and areation.

The materials I have at hand are coir, rice hulls and corse coir chips. I have an Aechmea tillandsiodes that is doing well in the corse chips. Is Ae.recurvata likely to respond well to this medium?

Thanks,
Phil
Medellin

o

That sounds fine, Phil.

o

Phil, if there is any likelihood of rats or mice in the area I would stay clear of the rice hulls. I used them many years ago in an orchid mix while living next door to a bloke who had chooks. Within a week plants were dug out and pots tipped over due I think to the rats looking for grain among the hulls. I repotted everything in another mix without the rice husks and no more problems - All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here