Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
petrushka_gw

NOID brom

petrushka (7b)
9 years ago

i am thinking that it looks like aechmea ramosa, but the buds are unusally white, not yellow, no color at all on the stalk either.
the leaves are big - 3' may be? the flower stalk is also huge - 1.5'?
the red flowers are from another plant.

Comments (7)

• splinter1804
    9 years ago

Hi everyone.

Sorry petrushka, but I can't help you with an ID for your brom., but I do like your very photogenic lizard, thanks for sharing.

All the best, Nev.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

the lizard was totally cute and posing freely :).
    i looked at a lot of pics on fcbs.org site. and all a. ramosa's have reddish leaves and always a red stalk on inflo.
    in bigenerics menu i found xAndroaechmea - sev that have similar bloom stalks, very white. but they also have reddish leaves. this particular plant is in total deep shade and there is no red in leaves at all. any guesses, may be?
    here's a full plant view, if it helps.

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Looks similar to Aechmea penduliflora but lacks the pink usually present on the flower stem.

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yah, aechmea ramosa with very similar shaped buds but creamy in color usually has a coral pink flower stalk too. even early on.
    i thought first that it could be portea petropolitana of some sort - but that one also has coral flower stalk and the bud tips are usually colored and bud shape if different.
    same for aechmea fulgo-ramosa - coral stalk.
    i managed to find just pic on internet with similar inflo - but it just said aechmea sp.
    it's in bot garden - so should've been marked , but wasn't. it's a very large area planted outside - so a lot of plants were not marked.
    at any rate - i'll keep looking. i have a list of plants for that area of bot garden and i checked all broms listed, but nothing matches the inflo exactly when i look for other pics on the web.
    i find that chalky white quite attractive.
    i did find aechmea mexicana, but leaves color looks wrong.
    inflo seems to be very similar though. what do you think, can it grow in deep shade under tree canopy?

Here is a link that might be useful: aechmea mexicana

• hotdiggetydam
    9 years ago

Unless the photo is of a young plant....It isn't Mexicana...Mexicana is a huge plant.
    The photo you found does not look any leaf on Mexicana I have ever seen...looks more pectinata foliage with mexicana foliage.
    See photo's on FCBS.org of Mexicana and Pectinata

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

it's on aussi brom society site, so i thought it should be ok.
    i did a quick search and i see both similar to mine and also similar to aussi pic:
    like aussi - also brom soc but fl
    http://www.tcbromeliadsociety.org/photos/treasurecoastbromeliadsociety25.html
    like mine: on spanish wiki
    http://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aechmea_mexicana
    in any case on fcbs - the 2nd pic of aechmea mexicana looks very similar to my photo. i did say it was a large plant - single leaf at 3 feet and inflo at 1.5' maybe. i did not measure exactly though. that's quite large ;).
    is a. mexicana even larger then that?
    also see the set of pics in 2nd post in this spanish forum, some nice aechmeas there, the caption says 'by glucksman' - it's the same guy whose pic is on fcbs - and it looks totally like mine. i am pretty much convinced.
    http://www.infojardin.com/foro/printthread.php?t=42470&page=108&pp=15

This post was edited by petrushka on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 20:55

• petrushka (7b)
    Original Author
    9 years ago

of course, i keep browsing ;). and here i find both: green and reddish varieties , the guy says that's how they turn in the sun.
    the top pic is of androlepis skinneri and the middle is anroleachmea o-rourke.
    mine of course is in bright shade with may be a ray or two of sun - so it's completely green. very nice shade of green at that, very rich. it's a smashing plant!
    i did just find a listing of andro skinneri in bot garden list of plants and absolutely no aechmea mexicana :(.
    but it seems to me that androlepis and androlaechmea both have very fat reddish leaves, unlike a.mexicana.

Here is a link that might be useful: more pics from fl

This post was edited by petrushka on Mon, Sep 29, 14 at 21:21

Sponsored
Buckeye Restoration & Remodeling Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Central Ohio's Premier Home Remodelers Since 1996
More Discussions