Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hotdiggetydam

IKE photo's

hotdiggetydam
15 years ago

I won't bore y'all with to many of these. Weird how the wind picked up some things and left something alone 1 foot from it. Still no power here maybe by weeks end

These are part of what happened at my house

{{gwi:455919}}

{{gwi:455792}}

{{gwi:446690}}

{{gwi:455793}}

Here are some 10 days later of areas around me

This ones of the light pole that is totally tangled in the traffic signal poles and lines but the yellow building was undamaged

{{gwi:455770}}

CHurch steeple laying in the parking lot..no other damage to the buildings

{{gwi:455768}}

and the rubble that will take up to six months to clear out

{{gwi:455772}}

Comments (15)

• mike4284m
    15 years ago

Thanks for posting pics! I'm sure everyone including myself would love to see more if you have them. Any shots of how the shadehouse faired?

Did you get much damage to the house from the trees? I couldn't quite tell from the photos.

We're glad you seem to be holding up well!

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

HDD,
    Sorry to see so much damage on your property and surrounds but the main thing is that you're OK - All the best, Nev

• User
    15 years ago

That does NOT look good! How many have you been through now Hdd?

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Thanks for showing us these pics HDD. I echo Mike - more please?

I know you have a generator, but how do other folk manage without one, and no power still?

Dare I ask...how are your broms??

K

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

gonzer I have been in 4 major hurricanes and to many to count close calls or near miss's. Its part of living on the gulf coast
    Kerry the plants survived for the most part lost only a few. The bunker was a brom saver
    Now we wait for power, insurance adjusters and dodge the mosquito's. varmits and snakes that are homeless.
    Shade area
    {{gwi:496005}}
    {{gwi:496006}}
    {{gwi:496007}}
    {{gwi:496008}}
    {{gwi:496009}}

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

That bunker is sure a handy thing to have. I thought you might not have any plants left!

Are you right on Galveston Island? I thought you had said that earlier so I was fairly alarmed when you said you weren't leaving, but then a little bird told me you were further inland and out of the inundation zone.

• bambi_too
    15 years ago

I'm glad to hear you are ok HDD, it looks like you got off easy. A friend that lived in Bridge City had 40 some inches of saltwater in his home, it is a total loss.

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I got off the island just a couple years ago. Insurance was non existant for the most part. I moved to this property because its 13 ft higher than all the surrounding areas. The surge does reach as far as 50 miles inland threw the rivers and bayou's and many people around me did get flooded but in this area there is flood, wind and homeowners insurance available.
    Many area's like Bridge City are almost totally destroyed.
    Without insurance that will make a recovery near impossible.

• User
    15 years ago

You're safe and that's all that matters.

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

As a fellow Hurricane survivor (Charlie), we are a lot better prepared now than we were then. YOur place looks like our place did but our trees fell everywhere and missed our house and the house next door. I replanted some dwarf trees and others I keep trimmed to my size so our garden looks like a bonsai. Our city did a real good job cleaning up the horticultural waste. We were without electric for 8 days. The coming of the electric company was like the coming of our Saviour.
    You'll be fine, as you say, you've been through hurricanes before. I'm sure there are folks who wonder why we live in such an area where weather can turn so vicious and think we are nuts! We probably are.

• bryan69
    15 years ago

I wouldn't say were nuts but its hard to leave a place you have lived all your life and start over. Beleive me we thought about it after Katrina,and now after Gustav. It was like a war zone after Katrina with the choppers flying over head 24/7. Besides where would you go? earthquakes out west Ice storms north and tornadoes in the mid west. You just deal with it and hope the cycle changes. we know how you feel and know that it gets better.I'll tell you one thing I never complain about my electric bill.

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

I meant nuts in the kindest sense of the word. We moved here 28 years ago from NJ where there were no terrible weather events and I would never live anywhere else. There is nothing like walking out to get the mail in bare feet in January PLUS and I am only about 1 1/2 hours south of Michael's Bromeliads.

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

LOL Well a bit further 2 hrs by plane

• barbcoleus
    15 years ago

The BEST thing was I got a free bag of ice from the government-the first free thing I ever got. SInce I didn't have electric and my daughter did, I left it at her house to look at and admire. Hopefully HDD you'll be as lucky as I was and snag one of those babies.

• hotdiggetydam
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Nope I didn't snag one of anything from the government LOL
    I did finally get electricity last nite

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions