Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anna_victoria_gw

Non-Fading Bromeliads

anna_victoria
14 years ago

Are there any strongly banded or spotted bromeliads that will retain their colouring in moderate indoor light - an east window with 2 or 3 hours of direct sunlight in the morning only, and bright the rest of the day?

How about aechmea orlandiana or the blacker chantinii? I have had a vriesea splendens for 3 years and It still looks very good with no supplementary lighting. My neos are fading. Thanks.

Comments (5)

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

I'm not sure, but maybe no fertiliser, once they have reached optimum colour, might help them keep their colour in lower light. Does anyone else have any comments for Anna?
    BA

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Anna

There again you need very bright light for those 2 Aechmea's.

When you say fading do you mean the plants were of good colour before you got them & then they 'faded' after you have grown them at home for a while.

Several reasons:

Neo's get a very bright coloured centre as they enter the flowering stage (red, pink, purple, blue etc.) when the plant finish's flowering it begins to produce 'pups' by this stage the bright coloured centre begins to fade, this is natural.

If you are referring to plants that have 'brightly coloured foliage (red, purple leaved neo's etc.) & the colour is 'fading' to greenish, you need to increase your light intensity, maybe try some full sun for part of the day.

You may be over fertilizing also, but this will burn out & the colour will return.

Try & improve that light intensity for Neo's etc. however as you have found, Vriesea's are good for moderate light, as are Guzmania's.

Did you check for stronger lights for your terrariums, an orchid guy I was talking to, runs T50 & T80 for his orchids, however I don't feel these are bright enough for Neo's & Billbergia's.

Pinkbroms

• anna_victoria
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Pinkbroms,

With my plants, its the foliage that is turning green - the spots are disappearing. It's very disappointing to be drooling over pictures of plants that I can't grow. It's hard to raise the amount of light in an apartment, without making it look like a factory.

I think I'll try to acquire some more vrieseas. I'm not giving up yet.

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Anna

Never give up, try try again, it's a learning curve & we're all still learning, even those who think they're experts.

Bill Morris, a great Australian grower, told me years ago: light light light air air air water air air air light light light etc.

Try moving your plants out onto a balcony in the warmer months if you really want to persist with coloured Neo's, or adapt to what will grow in your area & grow them to the best you can, Vr's & Guzmania's etc.

Keep trying, I've been growing for 30+ yrs & still can't get it right all the time, you would've thought I'd have learnt by now.

Pinkbroms

• bromadams
    14 years ago

Check out this link for some serious discussions on light.

Here is a link that might be useful: Neoregelias and Light