Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Silver bands...... another quiz

Posted by lisaclv HI (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 11, 09 at 14:51

How well do you know your scurf? Who belongs to the silvery markings below?

#1)
Photobucket

#2)
Photobucket

#3)
Photobucket

#4)
Photobucket

#5)
Photobucket

#6)
Photobucket

#7)
Photobucket

#8)
Photobucket

#9)
Photobucket

#10)
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Silver bands...... another quiz

Samuri
nudicaulis
JC Superstar
my head hurts
I'm tired
pineliana
Baton Rouge
Hoh. correae-araujamicaulit
I'm REALLY tired!
gotta go seepy-pie

o

But it's still morning, Gonzer! At least it is here....

Thanks for making an effort, though. (just between you and me, you got one, but don't tell the others) ;-)

o

Well Lisa ,another mind bender ,good show and i shall have a bash at it ,
#1Aech.fasciata variegata
#2 Ques,testudo
# 3Aech.nudicaulis
#4 ?
#5 not one i grow
#6?
#7 Bill. but wich ?
#8 Hoh.correia araujoi
#9 Orthophytum gurkennii
#10 Crypt.fosterianus

thats all i can come up with at short notice bye Jack

o

I thought I'd wait a while before I post my answers but Kerry won't give me any copy material, so here goes:

#1 - Aech fasciata variegata
#2 - I still need to think about those creased leaves!
#3 - Aech phanerophlebia rubra
#4 - I don't think I've ever seen scurf in spots
#5 - Bill brasiliensis
#6 - No idea
#7 - Bill vittata
#8 - Hoh correia araujoi
#9 - Orth gurkenii
#10 - Crypt zonatus

Japie

o

ok Lisa #5 is neoglaziovia varigata and #2 looks like nudicaulis x fasciata and #3 looks like aech fasciata rubra

o

Hi guys, hadn't a clue with the last couple of quizes, but I'll give this one a go, so without looking at anyone else's:

#1 Cryptanthus ??
#2 Aech. flavorosea
#3 Aech. nudicaulis aequalis
#4 Bill. ??
#5 Something weird and stripey
#6 Aech. cruenta rubra
#7 Bill. yes please
#8 Hoh. correia-araujoi
#9 Ortho. gurkenii
#10 Crypt. ?Black Mystic?

Now for the embarrassing bit when I check everyones elses! Cheers, Paul

o
RE: Silver bands...... another quiz nngghhh!

Retry on #6 Neo. cruenta rubra .... not Aech! I claim diminished responsibility following last night at a mate's place. Cheers, Paul

o

One more time, then I'll go whimper in the corner nursing my pride...

1-Ae. fasciata variegated
2-Ae. nudicaulis 'Silver Streak'
3-Ae. nudicaulis 'La Tigra'
4-Bill. stenopetala
5-Neoglaz. variegata
6-(I'll take a flyer here...)Neo. cruenta rubra
7-Bill. amoena var. viridis
8-Ho. c-a
9-Orth. gurkenii
10-Crypt. fosterianus

o
RE: Silver bands...... another quiz too

I swear I was typing and didn't see Paul claim the cruenta rubra! I can't type and think fast enough!

o

Okay, now we're getting somewhere!

Using the 2 point system-- 1 point for correct genus (which means you have to actually mention it) and 1 for species and/or cv. name-- out of a total 20 possible points, Paul is in the lead with 13! Japie has 9, Jack 7, Bryan 3, and Gonzer has about 1 1/2...... aw heck, I'll give him 2. ;-)

I'll wait until we get a few more participants before I start handing out any more clues.

o
jinx

Oops, you were writing the same time as I was, Andy. You are now tied for the lead with 13 points!

o

K, I actually got a couple right!

1. Crypt. 'Dennis Cathcart' or other var. zonatus
2. Ae. flavorosea (good call Paul!)
3. Ae. nudicaulis 'Waggoner Clone' ? which clone, damn it!
4. Bill. brasiliensis
5. Neog. variegata
6. Neo. cruenta rubra
7. Bill. amoena viridis (sticking with it because I'm tired)
8. Hoh. C.-A.
9. Ortho. gurkenii
10. Crypt. fosterianus (yeah, I'm sticking with it although I think it might be wrong...)

o

You're doing pretty good, Andy! You just bumped yourself up to 16 points and the lead.

I'll tell you which ones you're missing: the second parts of #3, #4, #7 and #10. You're not far off on the Bills, you have one #7's parents, and someone else has got both #3 and #10 right, so all you have to do is figure out who that is........ unless, of course, they figure it out first. ;-)

o

Ok, I'm determined to win this thing even if it is simply by beating it to death (I am gonna win, I am gonna win, I am gonna win...)

3 Ae. nudicaulis aequalis
4 Bill. rosea
7 Bill. (I was going to say 'Sangre', but now I'll just have to wait to copy someone else even if they scoop me to 20)...do I at least get a half point for amoena viridis?
10 Crypt. 'Black Mystic'

Ok, I'm done. No more. I swear (maybe)...

o

I promised myself I would not do this, but the temptation is just too great! I'm fully aware that there are some that I would not have gotten by myself so with a wee bit of copying and some further research:

#1 - Crypt Dennis Cathcart
#2 - Aech flavorosea
#3 - Aech phanerophlebia rubra
#4 - Bill - still looking!
#5 - Neoglaziovia variegata (excellent Andy, now I want one!)
#6 - Neo cruenta rubra
#7 - Bill Estrella
#8 - Hoh correia araujoi
#9 - Orth gurkenii
#10 - Crypt zonatus

Japie

o

Oooh........sooo close........

Andy's got #4, Japie's got #3 and #10.

Japie, you're definitely on the right track with #7, just reverse the order of Estrella's parents and you're there! I'll even give you a bonus point if you can give me the right cv. of C. zonatus. The title of this thread should help there.

o

Ok, #3 is Bill Gerda.
#10 Crypt Silver Zones.

And #4, my rosea's spines are nowhere near as prominent and the scurf form much more prominent bands. There are some signs of some spotty scurf though, but very little! Could my plant then maybe rather a B brasiliensis?

Japie

o

Close enough. It was a joint effort, so cigars to everyone who participated!

Here's the official run-down:

#1) Crypt. 'Dennis Cathcart'
#2) Ae. flavorosea
#3) Ae. phanerophlebia Rubra
#4) Bill. rosea
#5) Neoglaz. variegata
#6) Neo. cruenta Rubra/ AKA 'Monstrosus'
#7) Bill. 'Gerda'
#8) Hoh. correia-araujoi-whatchamacallit
#9) Orth. gurkenii
#10) Crypt. zonatus 'Silver'

Japie, my B. rosea's spots do converge into semi-band-like zones, but they're still mottled, not solid. If you have one with bands that look more like the Neoglaziovia pic, then it's not rosea. Might be brasiliensis or something else. Have you seen the flower? What color are the petals? Rosea's are gold, brasil's are blue.

o

Lisa, my B rosea is still very small allthough I have it for longer than a year. So I have no idea what the flowers look like. I got it from Lyn and her lable says B rosea (formarly B venezuelana). So I guess I will just have to wait till it flowers.

And my cruena rubra came from a friend who grew it in full day sun (1st picture - I got a pup from that plant). And I grew mine in full morning sun and it stayed green with a very slight hint of red. So I moved it to a spot where it got full mid day and afternoon sun and it started glowing (2nd pic). Could I put Monstrosus on my tag as well?

Neo cruenta rubra - Johan

Neo cruenta rubra - mine

And thanks, I learned quite a lot again from this quiz!

Japie

o

In the wild, some of the Neoglazovia variegatas will go red and white. Someone proposed it was due to the extra iron in the soil at that location, but I don't quite buy that. But once you see it and get its name, you remember what it is.

o

Hi Lisa, great quiz - thanks for another fun one. Japie, looking at those pics of yours, I just gotta cook me up a Neo. cruenta rubra! Cheers, Paul

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here