Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Illawarra Bromeliad Show

splinter1804
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Last weekend was our annual society show at which I took a few pic's which I thought you may like to see. As I sort them out I'll post a few at a time, and today I'll start with a few random shots of the show in general. No club or society could function without its dedicated workers, and we have many in our society. The few shown through out this post are just a sample that were on hand when I took the pic's.

Each year anyone wishing to sell plants at the show is asked to contribute a few plants for the major display which is assembled by two of our members Sharyn and David.

{{gwi:496550}}

Sharyn surrounded by her "labour of love" while David tries hard to stay out of site

{{gwi:496551}}

{{gwi:496552}}

{{gwi:496553}}

{{gwi:496554}}

{{gwi:496555}}

Some floral art examples

{{gwi:496556}}

{{gwi:496557}}

{{gwi:496558}}

{{gwi:496559}}

{{gwi:496560}}

{{gwi:496561}}

The trophies

{{gwi:496562}}

The life of a Neoregelia

{{gwi:496563}}

{{gwi:496564}}

Random show entries

{{gwi:496565}}

{{gwi:496566}}

{{gwi:496568}}

{{gwi:496570}}

{{gwi:496572}}

{{gwi:496574}}

And just for Gonz

{{gwi:496575}}

{{gwi:496576}}

{{gwi:496577}}

{{gwi:496578}}

{{gwi:496579}}

{{gwi:496580}}

{{gwi:496581}}

{{gwi:496582}}

Our sales area workers Meri and Phillip

{{gwi:496583}}

David and Noel

{{gwi:496584}}

Elizabeth our treasurer, checking "the books"

{{gwi:496585}}

Finally, here's "lookin upya kilt"

{{gwi:496586}}

I know the quality isn't professional, but certain photographers who could have done a better job were too shy to take pic's for us, weren't they Paul?

I post some of the prize winners over the next week if you like, all the best, Nev.

Comments (15)

• bromadams
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great set of pictures. I liked the Life of a Neo display, that's a good idea, but have to laugh at the 2 year old container. That's a one year
    container at best. Are you guys trying to scare off potential hybridists?

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Bromadams,

That is a 2 year old container grown hard and exposed to the elements, we can't all be as good as you.

All the best, Nev.

• matt15
    14 years ago

I agree the life of a neo display is a fantastic idea and something i've never seen before.
    Nev those pics are great. It certainly makes me wish I was there.

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Great photos of an impressive show, Nev. Thank you.
    I agree "the life of a neo from seed to maturity" is a great idea and well-displayed.

I have seen photos of show displays O.S., and heard from people who have seen them, and some of them don't seem to have great style or quality to them, compared to the high quality of their competition plants. This suggests to me that individual pursuit is of higher priority. Each to their own, but I think a quality, artistic display is one of the key factors in promoting bromeliads to the general public - and yes, it takes serious teamwork to pull it off. I also like the way other plants, besides broms, have been displayed to show them as companion plants. And those artistic creations are also very inspirational.

Congratulations to your Illawarra Brom. Society on a sterling group effort!

And yes, please show us some more photos!

K :)

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Nev, great to see you get some of the pics posted and I doubt very much that I could have done any better with the camera. Lighting for pics is often an issue in halls like that unless you get into complicated lighting setups and tripods, but that really gets in the way of a fun show. Your pics have turned out really well, even with lighting that was much less than ideal, so well done and keep them coming!

I wish I could have stayed a lot longer. The combined display was a beauty and I really enjoyed the show plants. In particular, that really fluffy white Till. tectorum was fantastic and the purple broad-leafed Alc. imperialis in the display was an absolute ripper. If their owners ever find themselves overwhelmed by pups (or grass pups), I'd be really happy to offer them a home. I just wish that I didn't have to rush off so soon, before I had the chance to meet a few more of the club. From those I did meet, they seem a really friendly bunch.

Cheers, Paul

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Great thread Nev! I loved the Tillandsia picture you posted for Gonz, absolutely beautiful!
    I wish I lived in an area with brom societies and shows! Orchids are here which is a blessing, but no brom show, yet! he he
    I'd be willing to help if anyone wants to start one here!
    BA

• User
    14 years ago

Looks like a great showing Nev. I do believe that that clump of T. fuchsii is the largest I've seen. That's an extremely hard plant keep together as a clump, and that's extremely with a capital 'X'.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

What can i add ? brilliant in all areas , and the photos are very nicely done to, the whole effort has a WOW factor and thank you for showing. Jack

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Nev,

Beautiful display! Thanks for sharing!

• jaga
    14 years ago

Fantastic display, Nev, thanks for sharing.Makes us feel like summer is truly here now for us down under- must go & pot up some plants!

Cheers
    JAGA

• devo_2006
    14 years ago

Hey Nev, thanks for the pic's, looks like it was a great event. Lets see those prize winners!

Cheers, Andrew

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Good work Nev,

I'm looking forward to the rest of the pics.

Rick

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago
  • graykiwi
    14 years ago

Great Photos Nev,...thanks !!...can't wait for our spring sale and shows to start ! Do you remember the name of first prize neo ?...a stunner !..YES, more Neo photos please!?
    Cheers
    Graeme

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Graeme,

The first prize Neo. was Neo. Rosella.

If you hold your curser on the pic. you should be able to see the placing, class, section and name of each prize winner.

All the best, Nev.

Sponsored
Fine Designs & Interiors, Ltd.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Columbus Leading Interior Designer - Best of Houzz 2014-2022
More Discussions