Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
semaje_gw

tillandsia ionantha

semaje
14 years ago

Mine tillandsia ionantha air plant has been not growing for quite some time now. But it had remained green. But just few days ago i tried something differnt. I moved it closer to the window. How I look at it and its getting brownish redish leaves. Why is it doing this? I could post pics if anyone wants.

Comments (8)

• gonzer_gw
    14 years ago

If the coloring is at the tips of the leaves it means it's getting ready to bloom. This plant is not ionantha but T. delicata but it shows what happens.

{{gwi:496739}}

gratuitous all-red shot

{{gwi:458101}}

• semaje
    Original Author
    14 years ago

no the colorring is coming from the bottom up

• gonzer_gw
    14 years ago

It "sounds" like your plant has rotted. They can rot and remain green for quite some time. Please post a photo.

• allan4519
    14 years ago

semaje are you growing your plant indoors or out doors? If indoors how much sun direct on to it does it get ie one hour, 2 hours, 3 hours etc per day and is it through curtains or blinds? do you have air conditioning? how long have you been growing this plant under these conditions?
    If out doors are you in a cold climate and do you keep this plant in lots of sun or shade? How often do you water or mist your plant?
    Without knowing these details is difficult telling what is happening.

• semaje
    Original Author
    14 years ago

{{gwi:496740}}

Its indoors by a window. Through glass. I mist it once every 2 days. It gotta a funky smell to it. I pretty sure its rot.
    Out of curiosity... is there anyway I could try to propagate this? Thanks.

• gonzer_gw
    14 years ago

Tug on the center leaves and they'll probably pull right out. No chance for propagation. Ionantha is very inexpensive to replace. The water was settling in the leaf bases judging by your photo, try hanging one upside down close to your window.

• semaje
    Original Author
    14 years ago

yeah they do pull right out

• tropicalzone7
    14 years ago

Defiantely rot. It happened to me before, but now I hang them outside on a tree for the summer and spray them with a hose on warm days. They do great and some even flowered recently.

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?
More Discussions