Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Dusty Brom's

splinter1804
14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I awoke the other morning to a very strange phenomenon, a sky which looked like a pinkish brown mixture of fog and dust. Everything had red dust on it including my garden and brom's.

It turned out to be a dust storm from South Australia which had been blown by the westerly winds all the way across the country to the coast.

It was blown away the next day by the strong wind and was last seen heading toward N.Z., however it left a coating of fine dust one everything and everywhere.

I know it's nothing like a lot of people experience, but the last time it happened here on the coast was in 1939 so I was told by an old friend down the road. "You remember " he said, but when I told him I was -1 at the time he realised I didn't.

Our society secretary's garden:

{{gwi:496949}}

{{gwi:496951}}

{{gwi:496953}}

{{gwi:496956}}

.... and in the city

{{gwi:496957}}

Godzilla comes to town

{{gwi:496959}}

All the best, Nev.

Comments (10)

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

ha, ha , he he ROTFLMAO, Nev! thats so funny!He he.
    The dust was weird hey? I thought at frist it was rain. We got it too, here in Coffs, but not red! It was a dirty fog colour, but blowing at about 80km an hour I reckon! (actually, I have no idea about wind speed, but it was blowey!)I've been watering the broms to wash it off, but yesterdays washing just turned it all to mud!
    Some strange weather we're having!
    BA

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

There is another dust storm heading across NSW tomorrow.
    They have said it is a lot of iron so how will this go with our broms?

• jaga
    14 years ago

We have not noticed any Australian real estate landing on us. Mind you it's been too wet to see through the clouds. It's warm & misty, good brom weather.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Really hot, windy and dry here today! Whew! A bit more dust, but not as much as Wednesday. The wind blew over my Guzmania 'Kapaho Fire' and broke the top off the flower! It was finally at its best! Boo hoo. I'll have to wait for another year to get more!
    BA

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

We have another dust storm now. Looks like another clean up tomorrow.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yup , I gained about 2 " of top soil,so my yard won't flood as readily now ,sick of picking up plants that blow over though ,loved the taste of that gritty dust ,and i left a window open but i like house work any way ,bit of rain would be nice ,at least our weather is not boring. Jack

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Hi Jack, yes, I thought the silver lining was the top soil too! Can't say I enjoyed the taste though, left me with a headache and sinus, (not to mention that broken flower!)
    At least the sun is shining and the birds are singing.
    BA

• matt15
    14 years ago

I was sent this link today from a friend which I thought i'd share here. It's a video of a dust storm near Broken Hill filmed in 2007.

Enjoy...!!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95tmYmeHf84

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

All I can say is why would anyone in their right mind drive into something like this?

I'd be going in the opposite direction!

Thanks but no thanks for the experience Matt.

All the best, Nev.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

OMG! That was scarey! I'm with you Nev, I would not have been heading into it!
    BA

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor
More Discussions