Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisaclv

Species that can hold their own against any hybrid

LisaCLV
17 years ago

You know, hybrids are great, but sometime's it's really hard to improve on Mother Nature.

Vriesea platynema v.variegata:

{{gwi:497071}}

Vr. gigantea 'Nova':

{{gwi:497073}}

Werrauhia kupperiana:

{{gwi:497076}}

Neoregelia johannis 'De Rolf':

{{gwi:497078}}

Neo. "Shiigi's melanodonta"-- probably not the true Neo. melanodonta, as Harry Luther says that all material grown under that name is probably Neo. concentrica-- but still a species, not a hybrid:

{{gwi:497080}}

And my favorite favorite FAVORITE........ Neo. carcharodon 'Tiger':

{{gwi:497082}}

Comments (11)

• Patris
    17 years ago

Thanks Lisa for that kaleidoscope of colors and texture.
    My collection is growing as we speak and with each new picture so is my want list.
    I just cannot get over the beauty of these plants!!!
    Patris

• bob740
    17 years ago

Wow,Lisa...speechless. That Vr.platynema variegata is my all time favorite vriesea. And thats the absolute best photo I've ever seen of it.Thank you ! Bob

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

That Vriesea platynema v.variegata is stunning. i also see where Kawika got some traits

• User
    17 years ago

Thanks for the pics Lisa. Great stuff. Scary thought...what if those images were flashed on giant stage screens, say, like a Pink Floyd concert or the old laser light shows from the 70's? The gray matter'd be floating in the aisles!

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I think I was at that concert, gonzer! At any rate my gray matter is still floating around somewhere, and looking at these things doesn't help. I used to be an art student, but I quit when I came to the conclusion that even the simplest things in nature were far more complex and interesting than anything my fellow students and I were likely to turn out in our lifetime. The hybridizing thing is just my way of keeping one foot in both worlds.

Yes, I'm sure that is Kawika's daddy, hdd. I don't know if that's the same "melanodonta" that Michael is selling, or where David got the plant from in the first place, but Ray picked up a pup from me and I'm sure he'll make good use of it. Slow growing bugga, though, and I've never seen it bloom.

Vr. platynema variegata is one of the all-time greats, I agree. It actually has kind of a nice-looking flower too, at least when it's still in the buddy stage. Most of the foliage-type Vrieseas have fairly ugly flowers. It makes some nice hybrids, but I don't think any of them is really any better than the original, just different.

• hotdiggetydam
    17 years ago

These pictures belong on the FCBS site

• lyndi_whye
    16 years ago

I have just confirmed with Michael, that's the same Neo. "Shiigi's melanodonta" he carries and I am getting one soon. Hehe.

• hotdiggetydam
    16 years ago

I have a couple of melandonta ..very nice plants...so are the plutonis

• User
    16 years ago

Bringing back this post was appropriate since I took these photos of the very plain Billbergia elegans in full glory.

{{gwi:497084}}

{{gwi:497087}}

• LisaCLV
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wowsers, gonzer! But are you sure that's just plain old elegans, and if so, where did you get it? Mine has a rather sparse upright flower like the ones on FCBS. Yours looks like it could be elegans crossed back to Windii, or some such thing.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:497065}}

• User
    16 years ago

All the plants are from a single plant I got from Birdrock years ago. Here's another clump flowering more like you mentioned Lisa. This is one species that can easily get out of hand.

{{gwi:497089}}

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions