Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
n0tmycupoftea

This one got me wondering...

n0tmycupoftea
10 years ago

Hey everyone!! I have plenty of plants in my household from easy to care peace lilies and kalanchoes to difficult tropical plants that I keep in an indoor grow tent, so not really a stranger to plants, however I've had this bromeliad for about 4 months and just a week ago the top "flower" part has started to tilt and just look very unhealthy and dry. I have him a couple of feet away on a east facing window that gets plenty of sun as I live in an adobe apartment that doesn't get very much light anywhere else (and I have tried other areas of the place and this one in particular seemed to be suiting him just fine and he seemed to have been thriving just until recently).

I have read tons of stuff on bromeliads since acquiring him and it seems as though he is the only plant in my household that I can't keep happy. I keep the soil dry and water the cup about once a week, so I don't think it's root rot but then again I have no other idea what could be wrong with it. There's new growth coming up and outward from the cup of the bromeliad, the leaves feel healthy and are nice and thick, I clean his cup often, and yet I have no clue what could be wrong with him.

I have attached a picture and any kind of help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Oh ya, I live in New Mexico also. Indoor temp is steady at 79 and humidity ranging from ~58-62. If you need anymore info to help assess the problem I'd be more than happy to answer them.

Comments (8)

Sponsored
Landscape Concepts of Fairfax, Inc.
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
Northern VA's Creative Team of Landscape Designers & Horticulturists
More Discussions