Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
avane_gw

All my orlandianas

avane_gw
15 years ago

Andrew inspired me to go and take arty pictures of my orlandianas but out weather is very variable at the moment, together with the position that the plants are in. Some get morning light, some midday and some after noon light. I had most of them on those two railway sleepers, but spent some time today to get them all mounted together. I'll save the arty picture taking for later, here are just what the plants look like:

All of them:

{{gwi:497743}}

Aech orlandiana:

{{gwi:497746}}

Aech Ensign:

{{gwi:497747}}

Aech Reverse Ensign:

{{gwi:497750}}

2nd sleeper from the top down,

Aech Black Beauty:

{{gwi:497752}}

And with the light from the back:

{{gwi:497755}}

Aech Rainbow:

{{gwi:497761}}

Aech Medio Picta:

{{gwi:497766}}

Aech Pikanini x White Knight:

{{gwi:497770}}

Aech Gold Tone:

{{gwi:497773}}

Aech White Knight:

{{gwi:497777}}

And again my favourite, close up - Ensign:

{{gwi:497780}}

Japie

Comments (14)

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Nice plants Japie

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Avane - What a great collection of orlandianas you have - I like the stain-glass window effect with the sun shining through the leaves and I also think your recycling of old railway sleepers is great, must try that one myself - Thanks for the pics - All the best Nev

• ozvon
    15 years ago

Hi Japie,

Your pics are magnificent - the colors are amazingly beautiful. Now, that is why I love broms so much (and why i am so disappointed coz i still havent got it right yet ....sook sook).

I would like to thank you belatedly for sharing the concept of using old sleepers to display your broms - i had seen some of your earlier pics and i have copied your idea but was unable to remember who to attribute the idea! Yhanks :-)) I now have a little Bromhenge happening at the end of my garden (it looks nowhere near as brilliant as yours - i can only hope that time will change that).

Thanks again
    cheeers from Von

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

one of my favorites
    {{gwi:497782}}

• devo_2006
    15 years ago

Fantasic collection there Japie, you are really getting them to show off their markings...and that Ensign has the best colour of any I've seen.

• kxs106
    15 years ago

Great collection...

I just hope that my Rainbow and Ensign show there colour like these.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the nice comments, Everyone!

HDD, your Snowflake looks as if it wants to come and join my crowd! Does it also show a lot of white viewed from the side?

Japie

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Japie, that is a great collection there - thanks for sharing.

HDD, I can see why that is a favourite.

Rick

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Ditto on the above compliments Japie - and HDD. They look great mounted like that. I agree with Andrew that your Ensign is super duper!
    Looking forward to the arty-farty shots :)

Cheers,
    K

• User
    15 years ago

Great display of the different forms Japie!

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    15 years ago

How are your's able to take that full sun?..mine need some afternoon shade or a hot spell will burn them.

• avane_gw
    Original Author
    15 years ago

They get some shade on and off during the day in summer, Stanhofh. Just remember also, that what you see now is at the end of Winter when the sun has not got a lot of punch here on the southern tip of Africa.

And today I realised that I never, ever took a picture of Ensign from the top. Maybe it is because I like the look from below with the sun hitting it from behind, but also it is very difficult to get it from the top as it is high up and I am rather short. So, instead of fetching a ladder, I nearly broke my neck taking this picture!
    {{gwi:497785}}

• malleeaustralia
    14 years ago

I couldn't help but reply to this thread if only to pop it back to the top of the list for those wo missed it the firt time round.

Great pics and amazing looking plants! Most of the Orland and hybrids are still on my wanted list (and that list grows longer as I see the diff cv's!) but I can see from your pics why Ensign is yr fave - Ill definetley have to add one of those before long.

all the best
    Kristan

• neomea
    14 years ago

Yip great pics Japie! They have grown well.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions