Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zensojourner

$1 Bromeliads

Pyewacket
9 years ago

I got a couple of these off the $1 table at Lowe's, they are already in bloom, and doubtless no great shakes as examples of bromeliad-dom.

One already seems to have a pup. A thin and spindly pup, but a pup nevertheless.

Both are planted in peat moss. Both are tank bromeliads with flat flower bracts that look like they are some kind of vriesea.

I'm in a very dry region - 7" of rain per year. So its dry in the house as well. I'd like to repot them in terracotta pots in a pumice or pumice-based soil medium. Then water via the tank using distilled water- the water here is pretty hard.

The pumice is heavier than the peat. It holds water well but drains quickly. It will dry out more quickly than the peat, but that could be a good thing because it should help to raise humidity in the immediate vicinity of the plants.

I feel I am less likely to rot the plants in pumice or a peat/pumice blend. Since they're epiphytes anyway, I don't really see the need to keep them in peat.

Is there some good reason to keep them in the peat, or am I correct in surmising that peat is just a cheap, lightweight potting medium used by mass growers because it's cheap to buy and cheap to ship, and makes it easy for retailers to water infrequently (because of the way it retains water)?

Should I separate the pup, or wait for more pups to appear? Should I repot the plant with the pup into a larger pot, or keep them in the same size pot (about 3")?

They are currently on the east edge of a large south facing bank of windows. They get plenty of light but not a lot of direct sun (they are placed just to one side of the windows). Is that ok?

Anything else I ought to do/not do to take care of my $1 mutt bromeliads?

Comments (5)

• gosalsk
    9 years ago

That's pretty much it. You want good light, but not direct sun, and you want to keep the plant moist but not wet. Dump the tank water out frequently and let it dry for a day or so before adding more. Mist the plant with water from time to time. The peat will work fine. In my experience keeping the pups of that variety alive when removed small is tricky. I would not separate them until almost full grown, if at all. The parent plant will shrink away and die sooner but the pups will grow much faster with the benefit of its roots and stored-up food.

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So would a north or east facing window be better? They actually are getting more direct sun than I thought where they are at now (south facing bank of windows).

Is there any reason NOT to transplant out of the peat? Will it hurt them to do so? I thought that since they are epiphytes, that was just a substrate holding them in a vertical position. If they're epiphytes, they're not actually rooting - are they?

If it has put out only one pup, which is as tall (but much thinner than) the mother plant, is it likely there will be more? I'm also surprised to see a pup at all since the flower bracts are still there. I thought they wouldn't produce pups until after the flowering was over.

Since there is already a pup present on the one plant, should I go ahead and remove the flower bract, or does it not matter to the health of the pup?

• gosalsk
    9 years ago

That variety does not like direct sun. If the plant is acclimated to it, it might be able to tolerate a few hours in the morning or in the evening, or dappled light. But it should never sit in direct sunlight for too long. If the light is too bright and the plant is acclimated to some sun, the leaves will get lots of small brown spots, if way too much they will get large "sunburns" where the leaf dies completely in large patches. It doesn't take much to burn those. I'd do east window in the winter (assuming it's not getting too much) and north in the summer.

They are epiphytes but still root in dirt and use the roots. In inside conditions in winter the roots will not grow back well. Pups shouldn't be removed during the fall or winter. There really is no reason to change the soil.

It will produce more pups but it'll take time--probably one or two more as the mother plant declines, maybe three. It could go nuts and produce five or six. More small pups will slow down the growth of the larger ones and delay new flowers. Pups can form at any stage in the plant's development. The bract might be done flowering anyway (the flowers are actually tiny and open for a day or so one at a time; the bract is an inflorescence). Leave the old bract until it becomes unattractive.

This post was edited by gosalsk on Mon, Sep 22, 14 at 0:21

• Pyewacket
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, I can see a new pup forming on one of the plants. I had to move them out of the east window because one of the cats decided they looked DEEE-LISHUS!

I have no idea why but she just hauled off and took a chunk out of the bract. I haven't found a good spot for them yet, they are just getting moved around and have had a bit too much sun at times. We will do the best we can.

Hmmm, there is a west facing window in my bathroom. Perhaps that will do.

Thanks again.

• cactusgrower313
    9 years ago

I have those bromeliads I got 3of them for $2 each plant had either 4 , 3 and 2 pups . so I just paid $6 for 12 bromeliads. the pups are growing great, I have them in a aerieted mix of bark, lava rocks, and some sphagnum moss. hung in my green house.

Sponsored
Columbus Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions
More Discussions