Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tillansdsia

Posted by krystyna1937 North Carolina (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 28, 11 at 18:14

Greetings. I'm visiting from the bonsai forum. Here's my problem:
On impulse, I just bought a Tillandsia in a 4" nursery pot and lots of instructions about how easy it is to look after. But then I read contradictory advice: Tillandsias don't like to be wet, just "misted"; Tillandsias like their roots in spongy most soil; they like bright light, they don't like strong light.... (I do know they don't like direct sunlight).
Mine is the green kind with a lovely pink/fuchsia fan/flower/topknot -- very cute.
For now I've moved it to a ceramic pot about 6" tall, 4" wide with all'purpose potting soil, watered it in and misted its leaves a bit. I've placed it under a "grow light" with African Violets and other indoor plants. This may be all wrong or it may be perfetct.
Can anybody help me with clear instructions?
Many thanks, Krys

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tillansdsia

Krys,
The genus Tillandsia is huge, with more than 400 spp. It sounds like you've picked up a Tillandsia cyanea. It should do very nicely with your African violets. You can keep water in the rosette of leaves. Water in the pot (roots) every 5-7 days. It will appreciate some occasional extra misting.

Paul

o

Paul,
Thank you for your advice. In the interim I've been searching the Internet and it seems that as long as I don't drown the roots, my plant should survive. So I modified my set-up by moving it out of all that rich soil onto a shallow bonsai dish and wiring it over a nice rock, keeping the soil that was still clinging to the roots. I've been misting it but now I'll add some drops into the rosette too.
Tell me if I should not have moved it out of the deep pot.
Krys

o

Krys,
In the wild, T. cyanea is usually found as an epiphyte, though it seems to be a rather adaptable little plant. I have grown it successfully for years in a pot, and I have grown it mounted on cork. Overall, I find it easier to grow T. cyanea in a pot with a mix of shredded cypress bark/ composted pine bark/ perlite/ and Candian peat moss. Here's a photo of one of my nicer specimens:

Tillandsia cyanea

o
RE: Tillandsia

T.cyanea, eh? Has that anything to do with cyanide, perchance?
Should I keep cats away from it, or it from cats?
Thank you for your reply. It's been an experience trying to get that picture out there.
Krys

o

LOL no not cyanide.. I think it refers to color
FCBS.org is a good place to learn about bromeliads.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here