Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ltecato

Pictures and questions

ltecato
14 years ago

Hi folks. I've got a few questions. First, I have this terrestrial, which I think is an Orthophytum gurkenii. I'm wondering what the spiny yellow-green things on the top are? If they are flowers, does that mean the main plant is going to die soon? As soon as I got this plant and put it in the ground, it had a growth spurt and the green appendages sprouted on top.

{{gwi:498301}}

Next, I'm hoping for an ID on the specimen below. At first I thought it was also an Orthophytum, but now I think it's more likely to be a Cryptanthus or Cryptbergera. It seems to like conditions that my Cypts also favor. The rosettes are 5-10 inches across.

{{gwi:498303}}

Comments (2)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

There are several cultivars of O. gurkenii, ltecato. Yours looks like 'Warren Loose' or possibly 'Warana'. The green bracts are part of the inflorescence, you can see the spent flowers sticking out from between them in your photo. The gurkeniis pup in two ways, on stolons from the base and also from the old inflorescence, so it's best not to cut the stalk until it's completely dried. See both basal and aerial pups on the link below.

The second pic is a Cryptanthus, most likely a zonatus hybrid, but I'm not sure which one.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:498300}}

• ltecato
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Great, thanks Lisa!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions