Posted by gonzer (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 22, 08 at 18:56

Inquiring minds gotsta know.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kim, how was the show?

• Posted by catkim San Diego 10/24 (My Page) on
    Tue, Sep 23, 08 at 11:23

It was not as large as I expected, but it was fun and I took photos. I will post a few when I get some time.

Clerking for a team of judges is very educational -- I really learned a lot about what they are looking for in a well grown plant.

I entered 2 plants for the first time, they scored blue ribbons, so that was cool. At the sale I was very restrained and only bought one plant, Neo 'Tangerine', love the color.

o

I clerked for a show up in Irvine back in the 80's. After that experience I'd never want to be an actual judge. They'd find fault with the Pope!

o

Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 23:43

Have a look for yourself:

Naomi and Margaret shopping:
Naomi and Margaret shopping

Sale tables:
Sale tables 2

Sale table

Big tillandsias for sale:
Large tillandsias for sale

o
Show photos

Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 23:49

Display tables:
Closer look

Foliage colors

Everything pineapples:
Pineapple collection

Signs of hospitality

o
Some cool plants

Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 23:51

Dyckia

Beautiful form

Billbergia

Photobucket

o
A few of the prize winners

Thu, Sep 25, 08 at 23:56

Best foliage and best in show:

Vr. fosteriana 'Red Chestnut'
Vr. fosteriana 'Red Chestnut'

T. ionantha 'petite' -- this thing was tiny!
T. ionantha 'petite'

T. xerographica
T. xerographica

Hohenbergia leopoldhorstii
Hohenbergia leopoldhorstii

o

Thanks for the pics Kim. There looked to be some nice pickins' there.
That T. ionantha 'petite'? Mmmm...that's not an ionantha but a T. aeranthos 'miniata' or "Mini Me", the name depending on who's stock it comes from.

o

Fri, Sep 26, 08 at 10:43

Uh-oh, I wouldn't expect Jim Wright to mix up his plants. In any case, the judges didn't pick up on it. The whole plant was smaller than a tennis ball, totally cute.

o

coincidentally was in San Diego and read Kim brom alert so had to go. "some" pix are blurry.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

cheerios.

o

Kim, what was the nicest plant you saw? Jim might've had the tags mixed up on his plants. Check out the aeranthos on Rainforest Flora's site and judge it with your photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: linky-dink

o

Shows what I know because most of the plants in Kim's and Patusho's photo's look better to me than best of show winner.

o

Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 13:24

Thanks for adding your pics, Patusho!.

Gonzer, you want me to pick just one??? The photos are of my favorites, excepting the photos that didn't come out well. Too many cool plants! And I think you are correct about the plant name, I don't see T. ionantha 'petite' anywhere in a cursory search, and pics of T. aeranthos at Rainforest Flora match very well.

Stan, it's all subjective and a matter of personal taste. I've grown to really appreciate the translucent patterned leaves of a well grown vriesea, but still get a thrill out of a wildly colored neoregelia, a heavily spotted billbergia, or a toothy aechmea. Sometimes I can't take my eyes off an alien-looking form, just because it's so different.

There's no accounting for taste; but for sure the judges exclude plants that have too much damage, that are too immature to be a good specimen, or too old to show well. A good example is Patusho's photo #5: the judges lingered over this plant, but it was decided the plant was too small and should have been grown in more light to bring out the banding and color more. Obviously, as a judge, you'd have to be very familiar with the species to make those judgements.

Worse, plants submitted that have scale, mites, spiders and spiderwebs, lots of water spotting or mineral buildup are marked down, and honestly some plants really should not have been entered. The wrong pot can be a small crime, especially if it's cracked or dirty; oversize and undersized pots seemed to be smaller crimes. A neat top-dressing ensures more favorable opinions than a weedy or messy top layer.

My camera takes pictures that look larger than life on the big screen, and then I could really see the shortcomings of some of the entries that I had not noted while standing next to them. Some of the plants I thought were gorgeous actually had a fair amount of scale under the leaves!! Big no-no!

o

Our society inspects for scale and they are not allowed entry into any show and must be removed from the premises.
I would not show my plant next to a scaley one. I take great care to insure I keep scale out of my collection and sure won't allow a show to contaminate my plants

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here