Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Promoting new roots on bromeliad offsets

splinter1804
11 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm afraid I'm missing all of the long "in depth discussions" we previously had on this site, and because of that I'm trying to stimulate a bit of discussion on the subject of "Promoting new roots on bromeliad offsets". I know it's been written about before, but as the years roll by and new things are investigated, maybe it's time for a re-visit.

Many growers have their own methods of doing this and I would like to see these methods shared here for all to see. Whether it's some "way out invention" or just a particular type of fertiliser, if it aids in the promotion of new roots on offsets, please share it with us all.

All the best, Nev.

Comments (9)

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

HI Nev
    One method that has worked for several growers is the water method

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Well HDD it looks like you're the only one with a suggestion, please explain what you mean by the "water method". Do you mean standing the base in water like you do to strike other types of plants or is it something entirely different?

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

They are even using the water method on Dyckia. I will look at that other formum and see it is described in detail and post it here

• juliebees2009
    11 years ago

heck I do well to get mine to grow. am loosing everyone I bought this years from a place in FLA and they should not be doing this. I bought from other places and there acting fine can you believe and this may be normal I am not sure...I got some with fleas in them has anyone else had this happen to them also its the same FLA guy.....good thing I hose them off out side before I bring them in for there meal time soaking.

I don't even have fleas and my sin crawls just to think about it I am not to far from this place I might make a visit!

• User
    11 years ago

Hey Nev, for my Tillandsias a healthy dose of powdered Potassium Sulphate in the fert mix has proven capable of instigating root growth that I can actually see. (swear on me mutha's grave!)
    Seriously, PS being a secondary nutrient there's no chance of burning and the results are dynamic. I'll have to try it on my Bills.

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi everyone,

Gonz - Thanks for posting that info., I hadn't heard of that before and must give it a try. I have found that the quickest way I can get new roots to grow is by wrapping the base of the pup in fresh sphagnum moss and then pot in the normal manner. The sphag. seems to encourage new roots quicker than by just potting in the potting mix in the usual way without it.

Has anyone found Garden Forums very slow lately? I know I have, but maybe it's just my computer or maybe it's because I'm in Australia and the posts have further to travel Ha! Ha!

All the best, Nev.

• crazybusytoo
    11 years ago

Hi Nev,

I'm new to Florida gardening and have been learning a lot from this forum, and especially appreciate your posts. I just learned about bromeliads this week, from threads in the Design forum.

I'm from up north and love gardening there, and hope to learn enough to enjoy gardening in sunny Florida as well!

I just want to thank you and everyone who takes the time to contribute. This forum is a great resource, and the generosity of all the posters has not gone unnoticed.

Next, I'm going to see what I can learn about Plumeria. I'd never heard of that either, but it's really lovely :)

Thanks again!

• crazybusytoo
    11 years ago

Hi Nev,

I'm new to Florida gardening and have been learning a lot from this forum, and especially appreciate your posts. I just learned about bromeliads this week, from threads in the Design forum.

I'm from up north and love gardening there, and hope to learn enough to enjoy gardening in sunny Florida as well!

I just want to thank you and everyone who takes the time to contribute. This forum is a great resource, and the generosity of all the posters has not gone unnoticed.

Next, I'm going to see what I can learn about Plumeria. I'd never heard of that either, but it's really lovely :)

Thanks again!

• crazybusytoo
    11 years ago

Now I need to learn not to hit the "back" button after I post something, or it posts it again! Sorry about that! Let's see if this posts twice, lol.