Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sevrel

new bromeliad for houseplant

sevrel
14 years ago

A few days back I bought a Bromeliad at Home Depot to keep as a houseplant. The type is not labelled. It has long green leaves at the base. And then as it rises, the leaves become shorter, and have a deep purple color. The container it is in is 4 inches in diameter.

I have a couple of questions about it. First, the long green leaves are turning yellowish or brownish at the ends. There are also a few spots which are silver in color. I have read that this will happen if the plant is getting too much light, but I find it hard to believe it is getting too much light in my room. My main fear is it will not get enough light. It is in a room with adjustable shutters. Light filters through the shutters. It is not bright light. At first I put it on a stand right by the shutters, but now, since the leaves are yellowing, I have moved it to table a few feet from the shutters. Could anyone advise me on whether or not this sounds ok and what might be causing the yellowing?

I am also wondering how I will know when the plant needs to be moved to a bigger pot and what the appropriate size would be. Right now a few thin roots are visible poking out of the bottom holes of the container.

Thanks for your help.

Comment (1)

Sponsored
More Discussions