Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help with ID

Posted by Sherry1976 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 12 at 21:15

I received this plant as a gift and was told it was a bromeliad. Can someone tell me what type and how to take care of it? I think that it is a beautiful plant.

Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help with ID

This is about all I could find about this brom. The closest similarity (to me) is a variety of Aechmea chantinii. In the meantime, until someone can tell me otherwise, I am going to care for it as an Aechmea. I've added the link to the pic I found online which led to my conclusion.
I must say that "she" is doing well (she presented me with a pup this morning which was not there yesterday). Seems to like the filtered light on my patio.
The photo is the leaves. Those spines on the leaf edges sure hurt when you brush up against them!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Aechmea chantinii

o

Here is great source for looking for ID's and other information. I do beleive your plant is Aechmea chantinii
http://fcbs.org/pictures.htm

o

Hi everyone,
Sherry - I have to agree with HDD, your plant certainly looks like an Aechmea chantinii or even one of the many chantinii hybrids. The only other comment I'd like to make is that they can be a bit "cold sensitive", so when the weather's chilly, move it to a warmer area.

All the best, nev.

o

Thanks everyone. Can you believe that when I held the pot over my head today the labeling read Bromiliad Guzmania? I'll look up the temps for my Aechmea. It really doesn't get cold in Houston until January, but I'll keep a watch and bring my brom in when I bring in my Dieffenbachias and Scheffleras for the "winter".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here