Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to ship broms

Posted by bromadams (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 27, 08 at 22:16

Can someone please tell me the details on mail order brom shipping? Like, what service to use and how to pack?

I've never received a mail order brom and I may be the one sending a brom or two soon and I don't know how it's done.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to ship broms

Wash the soil off the roots, let the plants dry completely and roll then up in newspaper

o

You need to get them inspected if it's going out of state. Depending on how strict your inspectors are and where you're sending it, you need to get them as clean as possible, i.e. no scale, etc. If it's going to a certified state you'll have to dip it in some type of insecticide, but the bottom line is: no critters of any kind.

Priority mail usually works just fine.

o

Who enforces the inspection?

BTW, I'm planning on shipping a pup or two from my large capitata. They won't be hard to clean up and I've already put some Merit on them so they should continue to be bug free.

o

"Who enforces the inspection?" The thought police, obviously. ;-)

Of course nobody is going to make you call the Dept. of Ag. beforehand, but if you don't and they catch you at it, you're likely to get a stern warning notice or even a fine. If the USPS in FL is anything like it is here, they'll run your parcel through an infrared scanner which will show up any living material, and the DOA will be alerted, so you might as well play along from the start if you don't want your name on a watch list.

The good news is that from what I've observed, the inspectors in FL are a lot more laid back than their HI counterparts, so if your material is clean, inspection should be a breeze. Our guys go over everything with a fine toothed comb!

o

• Posted by tomas z9 Rome, Italy (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 28, 08 at 16:40

Lisa,

how does it fit with this?
http://www.aphis.usda.gov/import_export/plants/plant_exports/faqs.shtml#7

Normaly it is the importer that must take care that all the required certification is accluded and the country of the importer should be interested in the health of the plants, not the country of the exporter.

Italy in certain cases doesn't require phytosanitary certificate and I managed to get some plants with no US inspection, but I had to turn the US ambassy for help to convince the US inspection authorities.
Tomas

o

Tomas, I only know what I have experienced shipping plants from Hawaii to the US Mainland and bringing plants back here from various US states. Either way, they get inspected here. If we ship out, our inspectors consider it their responsibility to enforce whatever regulations are in effect for the state or country of destination, and look out for whatever pests are a concern in that area. We won't even attempt to send anything to the certified states (California, Arizona, Louisiana & Texas), but even for Florida they will reject an entire shipment if they find anything they're not quite sure of. Been there, done that, not fun.......... :-(

Coming back in I've found that inspectors in Florida and California generally only give the plants a perfunctory look, but once they arrive in Hawaii they are held and gone over thoroughly again. Hawaii also requires a phytosanitary certificate, as well as a current import permit.

These practices can vary from state to state and country to country. Some are extremely strict, others quite lax, and there doesn't always seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Best to play it safe-- call your local Dept. of Ag. and find out what is required.

o

Are telling me that the guys and gals on ebay go through all this trouble to ship plants? I'll bet that if they knew they had to do this they would charge even more for shipping and handling and still not do it.

Anyway, thanks for the advice and I'll look up the regs. This is certainly taking all of the fun out of it. You guys probably don't want a huge orange capitata anyways.

o

The big no no's seem to be CA, AZ, and HI. Texas and Florida are already damaged with nonnative plants and animals of all types, it's kind of like closing the barn door after all the animals have left. I have to say that after receiving plants from all over the past 20 plus years I have never seen a live bug or spider come out of a box or plant. Out of all the plants I have ever purchased and shipped in from out of state I don't think very many were ever inspected.

The only thing that really bothers me is the number of plants being offered on ebay from outside the US. The listings seem to be more and more common these days, and I am sure quite a few plants are being brought in without being inspected and without permits. With this risk, real enforcement of shipments even between states is only one insect pest away.

There must be some kind of list though, when I took some Daylilys to the PO a few weeks ago and I mentioned that there were plants in the box, the clerk went and checked a list on a clipboard. She came back and announced that it was ok and off they went.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here