Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantsncactus33

fasciata bromeliad

plantsncactus33
14 years ago

Hey everybody my name is phil i am new just joined tonight and i just got a fasciata bromeliad. I was wondering if anybody has any tips of how to care for it any help i will appericate it. I will post a picture of it has many buds and it seems to be healthly Thanks I will look foward to talking people about this plant.

Comments (5)

• plantsncactus33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey everybody my name is phil i am new just joined tonight and i just got a fasciata bromeliad. I was wondering if anybody has any tips of how to care for it any help i will appericate it. I will post a picture of it has many buds and it seems to be healthly Thanks I will look foward to talking people about this plant

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi plantsncactus33

Welcome to our friendly forum. I think you will find this is a very good forum to learn all about the growing techniques required for these wonderful plants. If you have any questions just ask, and sooner or later someone will give you the answer you require.

Your bromeliad is an Aechmea fasciata and is one of the most popular and widely grown bromeliads in the world.

To learn more about the culture required for this and other types of bromeliads you can use Google and type in "Bromeliad Society International".

When the home page comes up, scroll down to "Growing Bromeliads" and from this you can open the section on "General Culture Information".

This should tell you all you need to know to get you started and it's all in simple, easy to understand language. Regarding your plant, you should check the section on Aechmeas.

All the best, Nev.

• allan4519
    14 years ago

Hi plantsncactus33, I agree with Nev, though would like to ask several questions just to clarify what the plant will have to deal with i.e.: Are you growing your plant indoors, outdoors, what part of the US do you live in, ie in South Florida or New York (cold or hot climate) etc.,
    The reason I ask is because Ae. fasciata is a warm growing Aechmea which like 1/2 day sun in my climate and only does well indoors if given sufficient light and heat little lone only watering when mix becomes dry. The thornless variety (Ae. fasciata Primera) is a reluctant flowering plants so may need to learn how to bring it into flwoer when pups mature if this is the one you have? all the best allan

• plantsncactus33
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for the info. I live in nj and I keep the plant indoors. I will post pictures for everyone to see. hope to talk more soon. I have a aechmea primera.

• allan4519
    14 years ago

Hi plantsncactus33, sorry for the delay in reply as am only occasionally on the forum. Aechmea primera is an ok house plant as long as it gets at least 2 hours (preferably more) direct sun through a window and is kept at temps 50 oF or higher. Water soil mix only when dry and occasionally spray foliage with water to reduce stress. Liquid fertilizer used on indoor plants or hydroponic plants will work well, follow instructions for indoor use. During summer put your plant out doors, in the morning sun position and can water more often as the growing conditions in summer are like the tropics for this plant. I would not separate pups off your plant till you put them out in summer and then only when at least 2/3 the size of the mother plant. They are slow growing indoors, if you have large pups on your plant prior to summer you can ask the forum how to flower them and would leave them on the plant till flowers appear as this process usually takes 3 months to happen and the clump will support the flower while separating the pup will stress the plant and add to the stress of producing a flower. allan

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz
More Discussions