Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
propagation of Ananas nanus 'Miniature Pineapple'

Posted by thnkfl4plntz 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 10, 08 at 1:58

I purchased a mini pineapple from Logee's and it's had a little pineapple growing for about 3 months now and the top is putting out alot of greenery. I've already repotted it and got a "baby" from it and it is now growing another "baby". But, my question is can I take the little pineapple off the plant and pot it to grow another plant? Does anyone have any suggestions or tips? thanks, JOel.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: propagation of Ananas nanus 'Miniature Pineapple'

Hi Joel,
I like to leave the pygmy pineapple on the plant for as long as possible, because it is such a cute feature and visitors to my garden always remark on it - even non-gardeners.
When the 'top-knot' is considerably larger than the ripe fruit, it can be easily twisted off the fruit. I peel off several of the bottom tiny leaves to expose the fleshy white base, and place in a dry spot for a week or more. This dries and hardens the base to prevent rotting when planted. It can take quite a while for the new top-knot plantlet to root. Make sure the base is sitting firmly in a standard potting mix in a small pot. I imagine you could also root it first by sitting the plantlet in wet cotton wool on a saucer, and then pot it.

Here is a photo of one of mine with the 'top-knot' getting bigger. It could remain on the plant for another couple of months from this stage.

Photobucket

I hope this helps you.

Cheers,
Kerry

o

Okay,we all want to know.Is it edible?.. enough to grace the Christmas ham of the Lilliputians?

o

I wouldn't eat one

o

Ananas nanus was reclassified as Ananas comosus var. ananassoides in 2003 by Coppens d'Eeckenbrugge & Leal --refer BSI Journal July-Aug. 2005, page 187-"The Pineapple" by D. Butcher. Also, refer to "Bromeliaceae Names & Synonyms" book, (p. 18) May 2007 by D. Butcher.

o

Geoff - thanks for that reclassification info. I've noticed that the 'red pineapple' has also been regrouped into the comosus species, and is now Ananas comosus var. bracteatus.

LOL Stan - Gulliver may have enjoyed the pygmy pineapple with his Christmas ham. My much larger daughter tried eating one, but by the time she had cut off the rough skin, she only had the remaining hard core to chew on...

K

o

Thanks to Kerry! The information was very helpful to me.

Carol in Jacksonville

o

I found two more good articles:

http://www.gardenguides.com/109064-miniature-pineapple-plant-care.html

http://www.wikihow.com/Grow-Dwarf-Pineapples

I found information under these various key words: Ananus nanus, dwarf pineapple, pygmy pineapple, pink pineapple, miniature pineapple, Mini me pineapple.

This post was edited by love_the_yard on Mon, Mar 25, 13 at 11:33

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here