Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jadgee

Vriesea fenestralis ID

jadgee
14 years ago

I would appreciate if somebody could confirm the ID of one of my bromeliads. I have had the plant several years now and it flowered this year (2009). Looking at my reference book "Bromeliads  Andrew Steens" and various internet websites, I guess the plant maybe Vriesea fenestralis.

The original plant produced 3 offsets and these have each produced a flower spike this year. Now these first generation offsets are also producing their own offsets and I would appreciate advice on whether I should split the plant (it is getting quite large now: 80cm wide x 70cm high) and if so, some guidance on how and when to do this. Should I leave the 2nd generation offsets (which are still quite small) with their parent when dividing?

It is coming up to autumn in the UK and I keep my plants in a warm greenhouse (minimum 10C) for the winter.

>{{gwi:502484}}
>{{gwi:502485}}
>{{gwi:502487}}
>{{gwi:502492}}

Comments (9)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hello Jadgee ,your Vriesea looks very much like a clone i had years ago from Gulz nursery in Germany ,they had several very distinct forms , when you split the plant up leave the very imature pups on ,i cannot grow this plant very big as it gets to cold and i no longer have a heated greenhouse ,Vr.Fenestralis has like many species ,several differing forms ,most have green spots on the spike ,some have leaves wich are spotted on top as well as underneath ,with some of these species ,when selfed they do not all come 100% true to form ,there are allways a few that will be a bit different ,look at Vr.fosteriana and how many forms there are . best of luck Jadgee , Jack

• jadgee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hello Jack, Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post. It sounds like you confirm that it is a Vr. fenestralis "form" - I was not sure. Thank you also for your advice on leaving the very imature pups on when I split the plant, I will do that. You mention that you cannot grow this plant very big as you no longer have a heated greenhouse. What minimum temperature should I keep this plant above to ensure it remains "comfortable"? I have plenty of competition in the greenhouse during the winter from other plants but I would not like to lose this attractive one. Temperatures at night have already been just above zero C so I have put the plant in the greenhouse (along with many other sensitive ones I grow) and sadly in order to squeeze it in I cut off the flower spikes. Having read your comment that "when selfed they do not all come 100% true to form" made me realise that if I had left the flower spikes on I may have been able to collect seed from it. For future years would I have to fertilise with a small brush, leave it to insects or are these plants self-fertile?
    Thank you again for your advice. Norm (Jadgee - what my granddaughter calls me!)

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Norm,the bulk of the foliage Vrieseas are self fertile to a degree ,but to make sure i would transfer the pollen myself , Vr,fenestralis likes it warm ,so would keep it in your greenhouse,no matter what the temp is ,around 15 is good in winter nights, humidity is important for it as well,pity you cut all the spikes of ,still the small pups will come good in a couple of years.Nice plant, cheers , Jack

• aroideana
    14 years ago

In the tropics this sp. can get to nearly 1m across .
    Had to stop myself laughing when shown a flowering one in sub-tropical Brisbane that was only approx 30 cms across .

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Here in Port Macquarie ,the Vr.Fenestralis does not grow much bigger unless you keep it warm ,when i still had a heated glasshouse (many years ago ) it was a large plant ,but i cannot justify the cost of heating anymore ,however some Vr, do better here than in the very tropical north ,

• jadgee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Jack and aroideana for your advice on growing conditions for my Vr.fenestralis "form". I consider I have been lucky with its growth and flowering this year in the UK (I live about 40 miles SW of London) It was outside from April to late September and our summer has not been too great - "reasonable temperate" probably averaging 18-22C. It's now in my "heated" greenhouse although I haven't put any heaters in yet as it's managing to stay above 12C at night at the moment. Like you Jack, I have made the decision not to keep the greenhouse above 18-20C as in previous years as it has got too expensive. Sad to see some of my aroids suffered last winter at lower temps but that's life, I enjoyed them while they were with me!
    I will however try to get my few bromeliads through the winter and if/when the Vr. fenestralis next flowers I WONT CUT OFF THE SPIKES! I'll remember your advice about pollination Jack.
    I hope we don't have these conditions this coming winter
    {{gwi:502494}}

• jadgee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

A couple of photos inside the greenhouse preparing for winter! The Vr.fenestralis is on the left at the back on this photo.
    {{gwi:502496}}
    Plenty more plants to squeeze in yet!
    {{gwi:502498}}

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi jadgee , thats a good fall of snow you have there mate ,one of the reasons i left the Netherlands , nice plants in you hothouse ,specially the Anthurium Crystalinum, at the back ,but that red cluster Cattleya bred from Catt. bicolor is very nice as well ,i used to be into Orchids in a big way and the Aroid family was a big favourite as well ,Love Alocasias and the velvet leaved Philodendrons and Anthuriums,, cheers Jack

• jadgee
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your comments Jack. I guess the weather in Fort Macquarie is considerably better than the Netherlands and judging by your piccies in the Vriesea fosteriana thread you started end of August, the broms are well suited to life in Oz. I must say how much I have enjoyed the piccies posted by all the brom experts and I keep returning to them to admire their beauty. Not easy to obtain these plants in the UK.
    The problem I have is I like so many different plant genera and in a couple of small greenhouses in UK climate it's impossible to keep them all happy.... but I enjoy trying! Thanks again for your advice.

Sponsored
Frasure Home Improvements
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Franklin County's Highly Skilled General Contractor
More Discussions