Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cractpot

A lovely surprise on a saved Neoregelia

cractpot
15 years ago

Hello all, its been a while since I've posted, but still read up most days.

I have a mini Neoregelia that I saved from a friends 'toss pile'.

I picked this one for the lovely zonate patterning.

After our dark and gloomy winter it lost most of its colouring and thats where I got a wonderful surprise!

I had no idea it was variegated, I have absolutely no idea of a name , I was just content to try and grow the squashed pups on, but now that I'm fonder of it LOL I'd dearly love to know what to call her.

Any ideas or suggestions as to whoh she may be would be greatly appreciated.

Nadine.

{{gwi:502683}}

{{gwi:502685}}

{{gwi:502687}}

The zonation does come through to the top of the leaf also, which is how I missed the var. going on at first.

Comments (11)

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi cracpot

There is an ampullacea varigated that has "weak" variegation similar to your plant, do you suspect that it may be a hybrids of some kind?

Cheers

Dennis

• cractpot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for that, it could very well be. I wouldn't have thought ampullacea first off, simply because it is a
    Larger mini, ummmmmm bigger than a Fireball (should say leggier than LOL)
    And much bigger than my amp. but I certainly wouldn't rule out it being a hybrid of.

Thanks again for the input.

Nadine

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hey Nadsy,
    I thought the same as Dennis when I saw it. The neo I bought from a north Qld grower as ampullacea variegata looks just like yours. Mine is also considerably bigger than the usual species, which does suggest a bit of hanky-panky...

Cheers,
    Kerry

• cractpot
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gidday Kezza, long time no type LOL.

Ahhhh two for the amp. variegata it is then.
    If yours is the same, size wise Kez then its looking good for it.

We always like a bit 'o' Hanky Panky too *wink*
    Thanks again guys n gals
    Nadine

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Nadine

Yip agreed, it may be of questionalble origin....and it is normally slightly larger.

Dennis

• catkim
    15 years ago

This is my Neo. ampullacea 'variegated'. I think with a bit more light, yours would color up like this.

{{gwi:502688}}

• catkim
    15 years ago

P.S. That is in a six inch pot, for size reference.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

6" pot, Kim? Are you sure? Mine would look just about like that in a 4" pot.

• catkim
    15 years ago

I just went out to measure the pot: 6 inches diameter at the top. The plant is a bit more than 9 inches tall, measured from the upper rim of the pot.

I got the mother plants from Bird Rock Tropicals years ago, still have the original labels. The mother plants were slightly smaller and less highly colored, presumably the difference between outdoors and shadehouse grown.

• LisaCLV
    15 years ago

Okay, I believe you, but you must be feeding it the good stuff!

Mine aren't quite that big, but I agree with the others that the pure ampullacea lineage is questionable. It's always looked more like Marnier-Lapostolle to me, so perhaps some zonata snuck into the mix?

• catkim
    15 years ago

"Okay, I believe you, but you must be feeding it the good stuff!"

Not unless that's bougainvillea litter and spiderwebs! : D I have no explanation. I follow the advice of the inimitable Dr. Gonz and "grow 'em hard!"

I understand where you're coming from, all my other ampullacea-type neos are much smaller. I have something sold to me as "Walking Tiger" (tho I can't find this name - resembles 'Tigrina') that is no more than 5 inches tall at best. Then the little red fireballs, a little more robust through the leaves, but still small, 5-inch-ish. I'm probably confusing the issue. Anyway, I'm sticking to my labels that came with the plant.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville
More Discussions