Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
udo69

How to make variegated hybrid.

udo69
15 years ago

Hi All,

I do hybridize lots of Neo. each years. I still don't have variegated hybrids. I had variegated mom pollinated. Some seedlings grew up white and then gone. Even I pollinated them with non-variegated plants. Some seedlings are all green.

When I hybridize the non-variegated plants with variegated one. The result is the same. Seedlings are usually all greens. There is no sign of variegated plants. Is that variegated trait on mother plant? What shoult I do to get the variegated hybrids.

Thank for all comments

Yong

Comments (16)

• allan_ladd
    15 years ago

hi udo69, I breed variegates regularly, the trick is to get the variegated parent that breeds variegates (not all variegates breed variegates) and then set the seed on the variegated mother plant.
    Most of these variegates will give a %variegate seedlings as well as %green and %albino seedlings.
    Only certain variegates will breed variegates, One group of plants known for this are the Neo. aussie dream plants produced by Rob Lanach (central coast NSW) years ago. Am sure other forum members can tell you which varieties they are.
    I prefer to use plants with random white lines through the foliage ateast 50% white on each leaf, they give me the highest ratio of variegates in a batch.
    The common name I use to refer to them is Neo. meyendorfii variegates, there are Variegated aechme and other genera which also breed variegates.
    Good luck allan

• kerry_t_australia
    15 years ago

Hi Yong.
    If you do a search at the bottom of the forum page, using "variegated seedlings" as the subject, you will find enough about this topic to keep you reading for weeks! Many people have generously shared this information and their experiences.

Hi Allan! Glad to see you have finally joined us - welcome!

Cheers,
    Kerry

• neomea
    15 years ago

Hi Yong

Yes Kerry is 100% correct. There is a lot of reading to be done here!

Allan: would the picture below be about right to describe your 50% white leaf? I have high hopes for this one!

Cheer

Dennis

{{gwi:502695}}

• bromadams
    15 years ago

Of course, since there are so few plants that produce variegated seedlings these variegated plants all tend to look the same since they all have one parent in common.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Dennis, I sure would try if I were you!

Allan, are you talking about all the Aussie Dream cv's, or just certain of them. And will all of that cv produce variegated seedlings for you, or certain clones of one cv that look a bit different from the rest?

Japie

• allan_ladd
    15 years ago

Hi all,

Yes Dennis that is a classic look for the type of variegates I am used to.
    Japie, "all the Aussie Dream cv's" were produced from these same type of variegates and hence all of then breed variegates.
    If you want to be creative ? cross Neo 'Hannibal Lector' (or similar?) pollen onto one of these variegates and you will get a variegated plant similar to Neo. 'Hannibal Lector', for those who get the American BSI journal, there was an image of this one.
    By the way how do I post an image to this forum when I donot get a "Browse Button" in the "Preview" window?
    allan

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:502692}}

• udo69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Allen,

Very nice veriegated plants. I will do pollinate "all the Aussie Dream cv's". Hope to create those variegated plants someday.

Many thank Allen.

Cheer,
    Yong

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Hi Yong, Allen and all - Just thought I'd throw in this bit of info - I had stacks of seed on an Aussie Dream hybrid - (I think it was crossed with carolinae) I sowed it with high expectations only to find a few weeks after germination the seedlings turned albino and died shortly after. I was talking to the hybridiser of the Aussie Dreams a few months later and he told me this was not an unusual event. All the best - Nev

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

The transmitter plant has to be a variegated plant not albomarginated

• udo69
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi All,

Albomaginated plants usually produce albino plants and gone. Variegated mother should have yong vareigated plants. In conclusion, we should try to do the experiment. Everything can come true. I will try to do some.

Another question, non-variegated pup from variegated plants still have variegated gene and could produce variegated plants. Is that right? Is the variegated gene still in their progeny?

Thank all

Yong

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

I would say rarely since the pup reverted the gene was weak I have a reverted 'yang' that produces only sold colored pups,,,beautiful color and confirmation but not variegated

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Allan,

HDD's link below should explain how to post photos, I had a quick look t your website, I would love to see more of your plants.

Thanks,

Rick

Here is a link that might be useful: HDD's photo posting tips

• hotdiggetydam
    15 years ago

Rick I am well aware of how to post photo's...that link was mine yanno :)

• jaga
    15 years ago

Hi Yong,

Decided to wade in, This is a common plant that if crossed on to, will give you a reasonable percentage of varigates,
    Carolinae x Concentrica x Carolinae

{{gwi:502696}}

• allan_ladd
    15 years ago

HDD, was told that you had put together a concise set of instructions to use images from photo bucket, though was given quick instructions by a friend and am posting to this forum to see if the instructions work ???
    To answer you Rick, here is an image of a few interesting seedlings which will flower this year.
    {{gwi:502697}}
    a. Neo Black Beauty x Neo liliputana,
    b. Billbergia 'Georgia' x Billb., Domingos Martins,
    c, Variegate of Billbergia pyramidalis v. Concolor x Billb. windigig special.
    All seedlings unflowered as of yet Oct., 08

Splinter I agree with you that some will produce all albinos, though originally, they were all produced from variegated seedlings.
    I feel that the two 50/50 variegated plants above or similar clones would produce variegates in most batches? allan

• Solomon Dang-Goldberg
    2 years ago

No one is gonna read this, but I will still throw in my 2 cents. I used to grow variegated clivias. Like buttloads of them before every single one was stolen.

The trick, at least for clivias, is to select very fine variegation on the pod parent. Any seeds that grows in an all white pod will be albino and will probably die. Half white pods will generally grow out to be half......maybe not half but it will be a block of white instead of stripes. Green pods will grow green plants.

I think its the same for Hostas. The pod parent should be one with very fine variegation

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz
More Discussions