Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tillandsia Cyanea - tips before going away on holiday

Posted by AledysV none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 5:09

Hi! I am leaving on a long holiday soon and I would like to know what I should do to care for my Tillandsia Cyanea before I leave.
I live in the NL - which means that right now it's autumn and that in the house it'll be cold and probably not very light... not ideal conditions for a Tillandsia, I guess. Should I leave the pot in a bowl with enough water, on a windowsill....? Please, help!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tillandsia Cyanea - tips before going away on holiday

Hi everyone
AledysV - As you say the conditions will not be good for bromeliads, cold temperatures and low light combined are not good, and although bromeliads are very resilient plants, I think that standing the plant in a bowl with water is probably a death sentence under those conditions. Remember the water will get very cold and as well as the roots being waterlogged they will alos be very cold as well, not a good combination.

Far better to farm it out to one of your neighbours, even one with no experience with bromeliads could care for it better if you give them some simple written instructions on what's required.

All the best, Nev.

o
RE: Tillandsia Cyanea - tips before going away on holiday

Hey,
I have a number of Tillandsia in my dormroom. About two or three days before breaks I will thoroughly soak the plants in water for about 12-15 hours (a long time...). After taking the plant out of the water and shaking it off, it place it in an area where they will get indirect sunlight most of the day. I have left them like this for up to 3 weeks without any problems. Just be sure that the moment you get back home, you rinse them in water to get them acclimated again.

Here is a link that might be useful: Envi Sci and FshyPlnts

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here