Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brom_adorer

Vriesea ID please

brom_adorer
14 years ago

This Vriesea came with the name 'Kamfez'

Does anyone have any clue as to what it could be?

Foliage

{{gwi:503315}}

{{gwi:503317}}

Flower spike

{{gwi:503318}}

BA

Comments (14)

• rickta66
    14 years ago

BA,

I think your Vriesea is the same as my mis-labelled fosteriana - I think it may be Vr.Erotica; does anyone agree?

Rick

{{gwi:503319}}

{{gwi:503320}}

{{gwi:489001}}

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Out of the cross that made Vr.'Erotica 'there where a number of plants that looked a bit similar but spikes varied ,some single some multi paddled ,Vr' Angela ' is out the same cross and there are a couple of look alikes in that as well, the parentage is Vr.'Brentwood' (orange flowered form ) x Vr.fosteriana ( a red leaf form ) cross was done by the late Lou Forrest ,why and how its assumed it was maybe a Vr.platynema cross is beyond me ,(check fcbs) It certainly looks like one of those B.A, Cheers Jack

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

The name is actually Vr. Komfez, it is a cryptic name for it's parents.

Pinkbroms

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Pinkbroms. In what way is it cryptic? (no good at puzzles)and a google search of Komfez had no results.
    Are Jack and Rick right with their guesses about the possibilty of it being from the erotica lineage?
    BA

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi B-A

No they're not right, it's an unreg. hybrid, unravell the name & you get the parents. It's a cryptic name.

There is also a green/yellow spiked plant to go with your red/yellow one.

I thought Jack would've worked it out for you.

Pinkbroms

• rickta66
    14 years ago

BA/Pinkbroms,

Komet seems to fit well as a parent, I'm stumped on the Fez part - can I buy a vowel?

Thanks,

Rick

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

fenestralis?

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Ross ,did'nt really worry about working it out ,and that sort of Vriesea is really not my type of thing ,still with a name? like Komfez it would be Komet x Fenestralis ,and its not that much different to a poor form of Erotica , how 's the rain up your way ? get enough ? I think you may be right ,perhaps i should have retired ,seem to have no time for myself now ,maybe next year ! see you Mate , Jack

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

Jack there are more hybrids out there other than Erotica, have you got a one track 'erotica' mind.

Too easy guys, it was pretty basic though wasn't it.

Kom for Komet

Fez for feneztralis, note the miss spelling (z) in the original parentage tag. (not my spelling)

How else do you pick a name.

We had 150mm in our 150mm rain gauge over a 4 - 5 hr period, don't know just how much we had, but just down the road they registered 240mm for the same period.

I think retirement ends up being busier Jack, I still don't have time to go fishing.

Pinkbroms

• brom_adorer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for that you lot. Its frustrating when you buy a plant with a name, but the name is nowhere to be found (in google at least. he he)
    We had 130mm overnight on Monday night, and about another 7mm on tuesday, but nothing today. It filled all the tanks and the dam, so we are set for at least another 3 months, as long as I don't keep watering everything too often. It was a lovely drop wasn't it! Look out! here come the weeds!
    BA

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yes i dont get time much either for fishing Ross ,no i dont have a one track 'erotica ' mind but there's a few plants out there like that ,as for finding a name? well thats up to the individual I guess ,but if Fen Fez is Hiero x Fen ,how do you get FenFez ?

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Jack

Another cryptic name by John Catlan,

Fen = fenestralis (obviosly)

Fez for the hieroglyph leaf markings = Egyptian writing - Fez = Egyptian H--

Pinkbroms

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Ah yes it makes sense now Ross ,thanks

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

Hat's off to you to Jack.

Pinkbroms