Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vriesea ID please

Posted by brom_adorer Mid-North Coast, NSW (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 26, 09 at 6:22

This Vriesea came with the name 'Kamfez'
Does anyone have any clue as to what it could be?
Foliage
Photobucket
Vriesea
Flower spike
Vriesea
BA

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vriesea ID please

BA,

I think your Vriesea is the same as my mis-labelled fosteriana - I think it may be Vr.Erotica; does anyone agree?

Rick

Photobucket

Photobucket

Vr. Fosteriana2

o

Out of the cross that made Vr.'Erotica 'there where a number of plants that looked a bit similar but spikes varied ,some single some multi paddled ,Vr' Angela ' is out the same cross and there are a couple of look alikes in that as well, the parentage is Vr.'Brentwood' (orange flowered form ) x Vr.fosteriana ( a red leaf form ) cross was done by the late Lou Forrest ,why and how its assumed it was maybe a Vr.platynema cross is beyond me ,(check fcbs) It certainly looks like one of those B.A, Cheers Jack

o

Hi Guys

The name is actually Vr. Komfez, it is a cryptic name for it's parents.

Pinkbroms

o

Hi Pinkbroms. In what way is it cryptic? (no good at puzzles)and a google search of Komfez had no results.
Are Jack and Rick right with their guesses about the possibilty of it being from the erotica lineage?
BA

o

Hi B-A

No they're not right, it's an unreg. hybrid, unravell the name & you get the parents. It's a cryptic name.

There is also a green/yellow spiked plant to go with your red/yellow one.

I thought Jack would've worked it out for you.

Pinkbroms

o

BA/Pinkbroms,

Komet seems to fit well as a parent, I'm stumped on the Fez part - can I buy a vowel?

Thanks,

Rick

o

fenestralis?

o

Hi Ross ,did'nt really worry about working it out ,and that sort of Vriesea is really not my type of thing ,still with a name? like Komfez it would be Komet x Fenestralis ,and its not that much different to a poor form of Erotica , how 's the rain up your way ? get enough ? I think you may be right ,perhaps i should have retired ,seem to have no time for myself now ,maybe next year ! see you Mate , Jack

o

Hi Guys

Jack there are more hybrids out there other than Erotica, have you got a one track 'erotica' mind.

Too easy guys, it was pretty basic though wasn't it.

Kom for Komet

Fez for feneztralis, note the miss spelling (z) in the original parentage tag. (not my spelling)

How else do you pick a name.

We had 150mm in our 150mm rain gauge over a 4 - 5 hr period, don't know just how much we had, but just down the road they registered 240mm for the same period.

I think retirement ends up being busier Jack, I still don't have time to go fishing.

Pinkbroms

o

Thanks for that you lot. Its frustrating when you buy a plant with a name, but the name is nowhere to be found (in google at least. he he)
We had 130mm overnight on Monday night, and about another 7mm on tuesday, but nothing today. It filled all the tanks and the dam, so we are set for at least another 3 months, as long as I don't keep watering everything too often. It was a lovely drop wasn't it! Look out! here come the weeds!
BA

o

Yes i dont get time much either for fishing Ross ,no i dont have a one track 'erotica ' mind but there's a few plants out there like that ,as for finding a name? well thats up to the individual I guess ,but if Fen Fez is Hiero x Fen ,how do you get FenFez ?

o

Hi Jack

Another cryptic name by John Catlan,

Fen = fenestralis (obviosly)

Fez for the hieroglyph leaf markings = Egyptian writing - Fez = Egyptian H--

Pinkbroms

o

Ah yes it makes sense now Ross ,thanks

o

Hi Guys

Hat's off to you to Jack.

Pinkbroms

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here