Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o

Posted by flower_crazed ID (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 31, 08 at 9:41

Hi! I received a Bromelaid yesterday for my b-day. I know it came from Costco and the tag has a few different pictures of Bromelaid's on it with some names, so from looking at that I think it is a Guzmania with a super bright pink/redish color flower. The tag has some basic instructions on it, not hard to follow. I was thinking of putting it in my office at work with me, but the tag stated it needs bright filtered light. My only window faces North so I am thinking this will not be enough light, or am I wrong? I grow orchids in a terrarium, I have about 75 to 80 orchids, so Bromelaids are new to me. I don't have room in my terrarium for large sized plants. Do you think it will be ok in my office at work? Any additional information that can be provided will be greatly appreciated. I have always liked Bromelaids when I see them, but I have just always been to much into orchids to purchase a Bromelaid for my self...lol. I hope Bromelaids won't be as addicting as orchids are for me! I don't think I can handle two addictions...lol.

Thanks!
Becca

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Newbie

Becca you might be able to get by with a north window on a Guz. As far as the addiction.....its worse than orchids and they are good companion plants

o

Well I'll give it a try and see how it goes with the North window. The Bromelaid has a tag on it from Kent' Bromelaid Nursery, I went to their website and was just doing some reading. Will I be in trouble if my humidity is around 20%? I did read that I could mist the plant to help with humidity. Also, what if I have a heater vent right under the window? I know for orchids, this is a big no,no, but wasn't sure if it would be ok for a bromelaid. I'll be sure to let my hubby know that he has started a new addiction, he will be thrilled....lol.

o

The heater is a no no (misting will help and water the roots and let them dry some before rewatering in winter)but after the bloom fades you could bring it home and put it where it won't freeze with bright indirect light and wait for pups next year

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here