Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stoney225

Southwest Bromeliad Guild Show

stoney225
14 years ago

Hi, these are a few pictures from a show in Baton Rouge, LA last weekend. It seems that much of the picture quality was lost somewhere between photobucket and the forum, but here they are anyway.

{{gwi:504967}}

{{gwi:504970}}

{{gwi:504972}}

{{gwi:504974}}

{{gwi:504975}}

{{gwi:504977}}

{{gwi:504979}}

{{gwi:504980}}

{{gwi:504981}}

{{gwi:504982}}

{{gwi:504983}}

{{gwi:504984}}

{{gwi:504987}}

{{gwi:504989}}

{{gwi:504991}}

The pictures are larger than I would like as well. Is there a better way to post pictures than what I have done in this post? I used the HTML address from photobucket.

Comments (22)

• bromadams
    14 years ago

The size is good for me.

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi stoney, the pics look fine to me and there are some great plants there. Thanks a lot for showing them. Cheers, Paul

• bob61
    14 years ago

Hi Stoney, looks like a great show. Wish I could have been there. Good to see a couple of old friends there to. Best Bob

• stoney225
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Bob, it was a good show. There was alot to see as far as show plants as well as sale plants. It was a pleasure meeting Mr. and Mrs. Cathcart. He had many good things to say about you as a person and as a grower. I wish you could have made it.

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Stoney,

What a great visual show report you've produced for us all. Like Paul, I think the photography is great, and so is the size of the pic's as it allows us to see all the finer detail of the plants.

Great stuff! Thanks for sharing with us.

All the best, Nev.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

The pictures look good to me too, and the size is fine. If you want to shrink them down, you can either do it before you upload them to PhotoBucket (using Photoshop or another program), or you can click "edit" and do it on PB.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Thank you for sharing, as a brom addict living some distance from a major centre, I've never been to a bromeliad show, so its with great thanks to you for taking me to one. Pics are great!
    BA

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

I knew my picture would finally make it onto the internet one day!

I got a few pics of the show to share as well.

Crypt. leopoldo-horstii
    {{gwi:505046}}

xOrthotanthus Blazing Bonsai
    {{gwi:505049}}

Deuterocohnia lorentzianna x Dyckia Fragrans
    {{gwi:505052}}

Neo. P.H.I.T.S.
    {{gwi:505055}}

Dyckia goehringii
    {{gwi:505058}}

Quesnelia Raphael Olivera
    {{gwi:505060}}

Neo. Wee Willy
    {{gwi:505062}}

Not in the show, but a cool plant! Crypt. Dennis Cathcart
    {{gwi:505064}}

Best of show: Neo. Fireball
    {{gwi:505065}}

Enjoy,

C

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Hey, I was wondering who the hottie was. ;-) Is that you, Chris?

Nice pics, and thanks for labeling them. I'm not normally a huge spiny fan, but that Dyckia goehringii is something else!

• stoney225
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey Chris, thanks for adding the shots you took at the show. They are nice.

• bryan69
    14 years ago

That goehringii was mine That is a fine plant it is the only one that is on stolens that I know of

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Fabulous photos all....I love the Fireball mass production, how cool!! Made me think of asking "how old would it be??" and does anyone know of any trick to keeping them all looking healthy and colourful ? One would presume the older plants have flowered at some point, so why don't they fade and die like other Neo mums do ? Why I ask, is I have some Neo mini clumps that are seeming to have older plants fade away after a while...am I missing something here with the minis?

• neomea
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

GREAT Photos!!!

Crypt Dennis Cathcart is a winner....going to have to see if Michaels got it!

Gary: Fireball is a funny one, even when the mother plant has died if the clump is big enough they can still produce pups from the base of the old plants. That clump in the pic may have been started with more than on plant.

Cheers

Dennis

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Chris,

Thanks for adding your great pic's to stoney's fantastic collection.

In your pic #4 I notice the unusual name of Neo. P.H.I.T.S.

Does anyone know what P.H.I.T.S. stands for?

All the best, Nev.

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

I know what P.H.I.T.S. stands for.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

So do I, but I don't know if GW will allow me to print it. ;-)

Since Michael K. registered the plant for Skotak, I asked him about it. "Just a typical Chester name." was the reply. Which stands for.......? "Piss Holes In The Sand." Uncle Derek wouldn't allow him to register that, so it became PHITS.

• chrisn82
    14 years ago

Aww Lisa, you're makin me blush! Stoney wanted me next to that Inferno I guess for a sense of scale. Someone told me the look I have on my face looks as if I wanna smoke it! Haha! I like that goehringii so much I had Michael send me one out the following Monday. And then it arrived a day late! Someone at the post office mustve known it was for me! Rarr!

Kiwi, I think the lady who entered that Fireball began growing it in 96. i heard-tell she fertilizes it at the same time each month.

I'd post more pictures but I only took pics of things I liked!

C

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everybody,

Ooops! I guess I shouldn't have asked.

I don't know Chester Skotak but from what Lisa says here, and after reading his book "Searching For Miss Fortuna", it seems like he's a bit of a character,and I love people with a sense of humour.

Thanks for setting me straight, all the best, Nev.

• martin1945
    14 years ago

I am having a hard time finding sources of bromeliads....I am in contact with one fellow in Florida and expect to place an order soon, but I would appreciate information on mail order sources here in the US of A.

• pinkbroms
    14 years ago

Hi Guys

Splinter

That dudes crazy, spent a few days with him in Cairns at the conference & hardly stopped laughing from breakfast to dinner, I haven't read his book, but just spending time with him was enough, top bloke.

Pinkbroms

• hotdiggetydam
    14 years ago

Michael's Bromeliads in Venice, Florida is the best.
    Not everything is on the site. Call him
    http://www.michaelsbromeliads.com/HyperCart/Catalog.asp

• mark83
    14 years ago

Bryan69,

I was wondering if you might have or will have at some point a pup from your Dyckia goehringii to trade? I have been looking for that dyckia for quite some time. Thanks, Mark