Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_maria

Please advise name of this plant

M_Maria
10 years ago

Dear all
please advise me name of the plant from attached photo. I know that it is some bromelia but don't know it exact name. I suppose it is not atmospheric tillandsia, because it is bigger than xerographica and it has spiniferous

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English

Comments (3)

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    10 years ago

Hey there, M_Maria!

Looks like you have Aechmea recurvata. There are a number of forms that blush red, pink, lavender, etc. when they bloom. After blooming, you'll see the black as the seedheads form and the color fades from the center. My favorite one was "Suave" which has a lavender center when it bloomed. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore.

You are right about the spines...the subfamily Tillandsioideae is spineless...it includes tillandsias, vrieseas, guzmanias, etc. so this one couldn't be a tillandsia, though it has 'grey' foliage.

Hope your plants are doing well....bromeliads are a lot of fun!

Bob in Indiana

• M_Maria
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good day Bob and thank you. I searched photos and it looks like I really have this Aechmea. Hope it is doing well and the small ratoon (babe, grub? don't know correct word) is becoming bigger and bigger.

Please, advise should I change the ground? Now it is growing into bark and may be it was good for a greenhouse but should I add soil and moss for growin into common flat?
    I like bromeliads - they are so funny and interesting

• HoosierBob SW Indiana Zone 5
    10 years ago

M_Maria, most bromeliad growers call the offsets 'pups', the word for a young dog.

You are correct, while bark is good for growing in a greenhouse, it can be hard to grow bromeliads in bark inside the house due to low humidity on top of fast drainage. You can add some long-fibered sphagnum moss to the potting mix to help it stay moist. Sphagnum will hold some moisture without being too wet. You don't want anything that will stay too wet and cause your plant to rot, though.

Just watch your plant...if the leaves begin to curl or the growing plants are closing up, it needs more water than it's been getting.

You may also want to consider setting your plant in a bucket of water or soaking it in the bathtub once a week until the bark and roots are really wet. Drain it and then hang it back up. This will help it get the moisture it needs inside the house.

Best of luck!

Sponsored
More Discussions