Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evanb777

Bromeliopolis Online Magazine!

evanb777
13 years ago

Hey all, just wanted to introduce myself. My name is Evan Bartholomew, and I am a collector and rather obsessed bromeliophile on the big island of Hawaii. I've really wanted to see some type of magazine related to bromeliads, as great as the BSI Journal is, it just makes me more hungry for pictures and content, waiting until the new issue. I also wanted to start putting faces to some of the names in the community as well as providing a resource to everyone who loves bromeliads to learn new things and meet each other.

With that in mind, I'm proud to announce Bromeliopolis, an online magazine. I have just posted a great interview with Dutch Vandervort, a terrestrial bromeliad guru, that is very entertaining. The magazine is in it's in early stages, so I will be adding more content as things progress. I would love to get some feedback from folks, any pictures you would like to share or species you would like to see featured, ideas for stories, and whatever else you feel like contributing!

You can see the site at the link below

Much love from Hawaii,

Evan Bartholomew

Here is a link that might be useful: Bromeliopolis

Comments (13)

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

If this part of the BSI...No Thanks!

• evanb777
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, intense feelings, eh? Did you actually check out the site before rejecting it?

Actually it's not part of the BSI. Im just a guy who loves bromeliads and is trying to do a service to the community, giving up my hours to do web design, and try to bring some more beauty and interest to the world of bromeliads and their collectors.

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

How else would I have seen the BSI logo prominently displayed on the site?
    Anyway I am glad its independent.

• evanb777
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well, since it's a brand new site and there is no advertising and a shortage of content, I figured it was a good placeholder since lots of people _are_ members.

• bromaholic
    13 years ago

The online mag this guy has done is pretty good first-up; I really like the interview article with Dutch V. I for one appreciate your actions, well done and thank you.

The new Brom & Airplant Forum has a refreshing & superior set-up and so far, no negativity. Negativity can stay on GW - if it has to express itself anywhere.

I am happy and proud to be a BSI member. I do not care about other people's bitter & twisted perceptions and sharp expression. I care about Bromeliads and [most] people who feel likewise.

[festering rant over. I'm going outside to get scratched by my favourite plants and appreciate their simple beauty and lack of verbal or written expression, and relax]

• User
    13 years ago

Nice effort Evan. I'm all for any media that expands my knowledge base as long as religion, sex, or politics are verboten.

• evanb777
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The only Religion discussed will be the Holy Temple of Horticulture

The only Sex discussed will be the propagation and promiscuity of Bromeliads

All politics will be strictly forbidden, especially politics among plant societies and their members

• User
    13 years ago
  • paul_t23
    13 years ago

Hi Evan,

A note of appreciation from me too, for both the great new magazine (the more the merrier, I say), and your three commandments!

Cheers, Paul

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

If voicing my opinion is negetive then I am guilty. Like Evan said politics have a place and it isn't in plant societies or gardening of any kind.

• splinter1804
    13 years ago

Hi Evan,

Your site certainly looks like a winner, but are you prepared for the flood of suggestions you are about to receive?

I for one really appreciate your time and effort in starting up such a site and certainly wish you every success in its development.

All the best, Nev.

• User
    13 years ago

Evan, what's funny is when Dutch found out where I work; Carlsbad CA, he had me go meet a relative of his who runs one of the local eateries. I'd known this fellow for years but had no idea he was related. Small world.

• evanb777
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Flood of suggestions, yes! Bring them on! My goal is trulu to provide a service to the community, so I'd love to hear what people want to see. I would appreciate if people could use the contact form on the website to send suggestions, as then they can all be sorted into my inbox and accessed when I'm ready to do a new article.

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County
More Discussions