Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainforestguy

Tillandsia Hybrids

RainforestGuy
12 years ago

Just curious what other unusual tillandsia hybrids do other people grow?

This is tillandsia concolor x flabellata.

{{gwi:506156}}

Comments (18)

• krystyna1937
    12 years ago

I want to upload a photo of my Tillandsia but I don't know how to do that and can't seem to stumble onto any instructions on this site. Can you please help?
    Krys

• krystyna1937
    12 years ago

Regarding uploading: I have followed the instructions but my picture is too big. Now I'm stuck again. Will try later.
    Krys

• User
    12 years ago

Very good color.
    Here's my concolor x bulbosa

{{gwi:506159}}

bi-generic; purpurea x Vriesea olmosana

{{gwi:506161}}

streptophylla x psuedobaileyi

{{gwi:506163}}

hondurensis x ?
    The floral bracts stay red well over a year.
    {{gwi:506164}}

neglecta x stricta

{{gwi:506165}}

paleacea x crocata

{{gwi:506166}}

and just for good measure, a seldom seen species, T. ericii

{{gwi:506167}}

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

RainforestGuy - If you type "uploading pictures" into the search engine at the top of the page, you will bring up several different explanations about uploading pictures on this site.

All the best, Nev.

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Gonz - I was so busy giving krystyna advice I didn't include my comment to you. Although I am not a grower of Till's I always admire the amazing collection of different plants you regularly display on the forums.

Tillandsias are such an interesting plant to look at (even when not in flower) and each plant seems to have a little bit of difference in the leaf arrangement and the sculptural effect that it provides; its no wonder people get "hooked" on collecting them.

Once again as I have said many times before, thanks for sharing your collection with us. You are truly the "Tilly Guru" of the forums.

All the best, Nev.

• User
    12 years ago

Thanks Nev, I hope RainforestGuy checks in. Although the range of hybrids is seemingly endless I still prefer to collect species. This way the perpetuation of the species can move forward regardless of what Man does to their habitats.

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Although I have mainly Neo. hybrids as that is my main interest, and I think hybridising is where the future of bromeliads is heading, I do agree with what you say Gonz.
    We must never forget our "roots"; as this is where it all began. I do have some species as well, as I think it is the responsibility of all growers to grow (at the very least), a few species of various genera to prevent them from becoming extinct. The way the habitats are being continually raped by man it won't be long before more genera are completely wiped from the face of the earth and it will only be due to the plants kept in private collections that will save the species from oblivion.

All the best, Nev.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oddly nature allows hybridization because many of the species in nature are originally from hybrids. Nature tends to produce swarms of hybrids periodically and these can breed back to its pure species and become a more adaptive form of the species or continue to become its own species type.
    I have seen hybrid swarms of many genera with plants resembling like something differently even though they are supposed to be "pure" species. Many species also have genetic background in neighboring species even though they appear different.
    Species will always evolve with the most adaptive plants being able to cope with changing environments. Some other plants and animals will probably become extinct due to the unavailability to evolve through hybridization or genetic diversity in their make up (meaning they are too uniform to make variations that can adapt).

• retmc
    12 years ago

Hi!
    Although I don't own any hybrids, I'd like to have some! Well, I'd like just any other Tillandsia for my collection.
    I live in North-West Argentina so I can offer you some of our native species: Didisticha, Tricholepis, Bandensis, Reichenbachii, Recurvata, Capillaris, Tenuifolia, ixioides and lorentziana. (If I find plants that fit in an envelope for sending).
    Anyone up for trading?
    Saludos!

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

retmc
    Unfortunately it isn't easy shipping plants between country lines. Seeds would be easier to transport by mail. But plants would need to go through proper documentation, and not having species listed in CITES and permitted with accordance with phyto certified and paperwork.

Making hybrid seeds is easy, since tillandsias freely pollinate across many varied genus, you can always make hybrids. I used to have a huge collection of hybrids to include many of Mark Dimmit's amazing hybrids, but have lost many to thefts and losses in moving my collection.

But I'd like to start again, since I have more time and space now.
    Perhaps seed exchanges or even pollen exchanges would be ideal ways to start.

Maybe we can list plants coming into bloom and see if any trades can be obtained and thus sharing of the fertile seeds. It will take a while to grow, but many fascinating hybrids can be achieved in this manner.

• retmc
    12 years ago

I've successfully sent small plants in envelope to other countries (Spain, Venezuela, Costa Rica). If the plant is small enough it goes unnoticed in an envelope ;)
    I'm afraid growing tillandsias from seeds takes too much time :(
    If anyone is up for trade, contact me.

• RainforestGuy
    Original Author
    12 years ago

There are procedures and ways of sending plants. Since you are harvesting wild collected plants from your region and shipping them, that poses some risk with regards to pest introduction. What may seem like nothing out of the ordinary, may yield diseases, insects and other pathogens not common to the recipient's location.
    You best should get a phytosanitary certificate and proper import documentation. Most imported countries have strict guidelines about introducing plants to a new country.
    I have seen many pests on plants because of such introductions.

• ChemGardner
    12 years ago

I bought this recently from a orchid and tillandsia dealer at our local green market. I can't remember it's name, but it normally has green leaves as opposed to yellow, and it normally has purple bloom stems instead of white.. It's my favorite in my small collection of tillandsia. Shown in my new Xmas present :)

{{gwi:506168}}

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Rainforest guy I totally agree about spreading bugs ect...particularly evil weevil in your whole collection without knowing until its to late and your collection is destroyed.

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

retmc - YOU'RE DOING THE WRONG THING !!!

You run the risk of possibly introducing dangerous insect pests or diseases into these countries to which you are sending your plants. Why do you think countries have Quarantine Laws and procedures to be followed in the case of exportation and importation of animals and plants?

These rules, although they may seem inconvenient to many of us are put in place for a purpose, and that's to prevent the spread of unwanted diseases and pests. I'm sure you wouldn't be too happy if someone imported contaminated plants illegally into your country, especially if they were the cause of wiping out your entire collection.

Please think of the consequences and do the right thing!

All the best, Nev.

• User
    12 years ago

Chem, your plant is T. ionantha 'Druid'. Easy on the white balance ;-)

• sharbear50
    12 years ago

Gonzer, thank you. I was just going to post a message asking the name of ChemGardener's tallandsia. That is gorgeous! Now I can look for one to purchase.
    Sharon

• ANNAMARIA VECCHIO
    12 years ago

Hi Gonzer, last week I bought a Mini T. ionantha "Druid" @ the San Francisco Garden and Flower Show, except mine has green leaves. Since it's soo small, should I water It every day? I also have a Bromeliad fertilizer(17-8-22, it looks like tan color powder) from a vendor at one of our "Arts and Wine" festivals, her directions say to use it Once a Month: 1/8 tsp-1/2 gal. Your T. ericii looks just like the One I bought from Home Depot. Would you let me know how you take care of your tillandsias?
    I'm also getting addicted to these 'babies'!!!!
    I would be very grateful for a prompt reply,
    Annamaria

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions