Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

i want a big, bright red neo.....

plantaholic
14 years ago

im thinking scarlet red.....and consistent. any thoughts?

Comments (25)

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Let me recommend Neo. Magali, redder and broader leaves than Neo. Scarlett Charlotte.
    {{gwi:506869}}

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks lyndi. how wide does yours get?

im ;looking at red grande on fcbs.....it looks cool.

• neomea
    14 years ago

I must agree with Lyndi. Magali is a stunning plant. Grown well it does get pretty large and the leaves get broad too...Cant go wrong IMO.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

My favourite large and very red Neo , is 'Rohrs best red' it almost bulletproof ,can take 99 % full sun ,is large ,filled in ,pups well ,shiny leaves ,and everyone should have this ,cannot go wrong . Jack

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks neomea and vriesia! im making a list.

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

I just measured the broadest leaf, it's 8.5cm broad.
    Magali is a stable red neoregelia which can retain it's colour under this lousy Singapore weather, while others like passion and Roehr's best never regain their colours. Hope this helps.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi lyndi ,your remark about the 'rohrs best red ' losing colour and not regaining it (in Singapore )puzzles me ,what is so bad about the weather there ? here in Oz ,it does brilliantly no matter what , Jack

• haxuan
    14 years ago

vriesea, would you please post a photo of 'Rohrs best red'.

I love to have a big, brigh red neo, too. Ohhhh, it will look beautiful as a landscape plant, won't it?

Many thanks in advance.

Xuan

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

id love to see more photos of some big red neos!

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Dear Jack

We don't have a good drop in day/night temperatures to bring out the colours of some neoregelias.

This is my Neo. Roehr's Best and the mother plant is from Oz.
    {{gwi:506870}}

This is Magali with the smaller size plants around it for comparison in size.
    {{gwi:506872}}

Neo. Lambert's Pride X Carcharodon-stiff thick leaves with prominent spines.
    {{gwi:506874}}

If you don't mind splashes, Justin's Song is big and red.
    {{gwi:506875}}

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Lyndi ,yep i forgot about the lack of drop in temperature , can't believe how much it has taken the colour out ,looks nothing like it, i dont have a picture of one at present,but Tamera might be able to post one for you Xuan,

• graykiwi
    14 years ago

I love your 'Lamberts Pride' x carcharodon Lyndi - awesome colour..how big is it ?

Here is by fave big red neo...'Bobby Dazzler' which I have got to about 80cm across just before flowering.

Cheers
    Graeme

{{gwi:506876}}

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Jack,

Is the plant you have the same as the 'Roehr's Best' which is shown in the FCBS Photo Index?

I haven't seen it around here so could you tell me approximately how big it is?

Thank's Jack, all the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Hi Nev,for me 'Roerhs best red' will get to 75centimeters across no problem, photo on FCBS is lousy ,for some strange reason ,every one who sees it ,loves it but few will buy it , here in Oz its a great plant ,and i feel that if you dont have it ? than you dont have a good red Neo. but its not that plentyfull,strange its been around for years ,I have another Neo , sold as ' Oh NO x self' to me ,big plant ,nice shape ,mottled bronze and goes the most glorious shade of vivid lilac/violet in the centre ,every one comments on it ,no one buys it ,strange how this happens. Jack

• anniesam
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone. This is The plant of Roehr's Best Red growing at Jacks place in full sun.

{{gwi:506877}}

Cheers Tamera

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Ah! Let me go bake my Roehr's Best.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Very good Lyndi,turn oven to 180 and bake at least for 6 hrs ,then ice the plant with low nitrogen icing and serve in a good size pot ,as you can see its a different plant here hmmm? and i dont think its been used much (if at all )as a parent ,go figure ,maybe i should ? Cheers Jack

• udo69
    14 years ago

Hi All,

I don't have 'Roerhs best red' Very nice plant as Jack. I should add this plant to my collection.

I agree with Lyndi 'Magali' is the very nice big red brom. but i don't know which one is the biggest.

Lyndi, your plants are stunning. I like your big red Neo. Lambert's Pride X Carcharodon.

As the previous post about big Neos. I have some big red neos. hybrid Fairchild x Isabel cv.Buckingham. It is very big about 3 feet across which from it's mother 'Fairchild' and purple red from pollen plant.

{{gwi:506879}}
    {{gwi:506880}}

Fairchild x Color Parade is another big red neo. nearly 3 feet across.
    {{gwi:506881}}

I do some experiment about sun tolerance. Because sunbeam in tropic as Thailand are very hot and bromeliads are easy to burn if place them full sun especially during summer. I want to creat Neo. that can tolerate very hot sun-ray.;-)

Cheers
    Yong

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

i wonder if 'roehrs best' is the same as 'roehrs best red'?

i just ordered one along with a roehrs best x johannis rubra.

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Thanks for the photo, vriesea and Tamera. 'Roerhs best red' is awesome! Wow, I would love to have that plant for my collection!

Yong, your neos are so beautiful and big.

Xuan

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the picture Tamera, it really is a nice, big, attractive plant as Jack said.

Yong, nice pic's of your three big plants. Are they hybrids from your crossings?

All the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

HI Plantaholic ,to answer your question ,yes they are the same plant, when i got mine years ago ,it was labeled as 'Roehrs Best Red ' but now most people seem to drop the Red bit from the label,i hope you will get the corrct article,X with Johannis 'Rubra ' should be big,bold and beautyfull, Jack

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi everyone,

I was just admiring some of my recent brom purchases and realised that I was looking at one called Neo. 'Big Red' .... and thought, hmmmm, that's a big red Neo! I should have thought of it before.

New pup of Neo 'Big Red' in 30cm pot - just starting to fill out and develop colour after a few weeks in full sun. Seller's parent plant was in full sun in southern Queensland and was a violent hot pink-purple-red.
    {{gwi:506882}}

I agree with Graeme on Bobby Dazzler, great plant. This one is grown hard around at a mate's place. It's about 65cm across and beautifully filled in with brilliant colour - picture doesn't capture just how vibrant it is. Now I've got to try to grow mine like that!
    {{gwi:506883}}

And Jack, I'm glad you've reminded me of 'Roehr's Best Red'. I've been meaning to get my hands on one for ages - guess I'll just have to force myself! Cheers, Paul

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

here is roehrs best red and roehrs best red x joahannis rubra

{{gwi:506884}}

and red grande

{{gwi:506885}}

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Hey! Thanks for the pictures!

lyndi

Sponsored