Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
i want a big, bright red neo.....

Posted by plantaholic zone 8a AL (n2tropical@aol.com) on
Thu, Oct 15, 09 at 18:11

im thinking scarlet red.....and consistent. any thoughts?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: i want a big, bright red neo.....

Let me recommend Neo. Magali, redder and broader leaves than Neo. Scarlett Charlotte.
Photobucket

o

thanks lyndi. how wide does yours get?

im ;looking at red grande on fcbs.....it looks cool.

o

I must agree with Lyndi. Magali is a stunning plant. Grown well it does get pretty large and the leaves get broad too...Cant go wrong IMO.

o

My favourite large and very red Neo , is 'Rohrs best red' it almost bulletproof ,can take 99 % full sun ,is large ,filled in ,pups well ,shiny leaves ,and everyone should have this ,cannot go wrong . Jack

o

thanks neomea and vriesia! im making a list.

o

I just measured the broadest leaf, it's 8.5cm broad.
Magali is a stable red neoregelia which can retain it's colour under this lousy Singapore weather, while others like passion and Roehr's best never regain their colours. Hope this helps.

o

Hi lyndi ,your remark about the 'rohrs best red ' losing colour and not regaining it (in Singapore )puzzles me ,what is so bad about the weather there ? here in Oz ,it does brilliantly no matter what , Jack

o

vriesea, would you please post a photo of 'Rohrs best red'.

I love to have a big, brigh red neo, too. Ohhhh, it will look beautiful as a landscape plant, won't it?

Many thanks in advance.

Xuan

o

id love to see more photos of some big red neos!

o

Dear Jack

We don't have a good drop in day/night temperatures to bring out the colours of some neoregelias.

This is my Neo. Roehr's Best and the mother plant is from Oz.
Photobucket

This is Magali with the smaller size plants around it for comparison in size.
Photobucket

Neo. Lambert's Pride X Carcharodon-stiff thick leaves with prominent spines.
Photobucket

If you don't mind splashes, Justin's Song is big and red.
Photobucket

o

Hi Lyndi ,yep i forgot about the lack of drop in temperature , can't believe how much it has taken the colour out ,looks nothing like it, i dont have a picture of one at present,but Tamera might be able to post one for you Xuan,

o

I love your 'Lamberts Pride' x carcharodon Lyndi - awesome colour..how big is it ?

Here is by fave big red neo...'Bobby Dazzler' which I have got to about 80cm across just before flowering.

Cheers
Graeme

Neo. 'Bobby Dazzler'

o

Hi Jack,

Is the plant you have the same as the 'Roehr's Best' which is shown in the FCBS Photo Index?

I haven't seen it around here so could you tell me approximately how big it is?

Thank's Jack, all the best, Nev.

o

Hi Nev,for me 'Roerhs best red' will get to 75centimeters across no problem, photo on FCBS is lousy ,for some strange reason ,every one who sees it ,loves it but few will buy it , here in Oz its a great plant ,and i feel that if you dont have it ? than you dont have a good red Neo. but its not that plentyfull,strange its been around for years ,I have another Neo , sold as ' Oh NO x self' to me ,big plant ,nice shape ,mottled bronze and goes the most glorious shade of vivid lilac/violet in the centre ,every one comments on it ,no one buys it ,strange how this happens. Jack

o

Hi Everyone. This is The plant of Roehr's Best Red growing at Jacks place in full sun.

Neo Roehr's Best Red

Cheers Tamera

o

Ah! Let me go bake my Roehr's Best.

o

Very good Lyndi,turn oven to 180 and bake at least for 6 hrs ,then ice the plant with low nitrogen icing and serve in a good size pot ,as you can see its a different plant here hmmm? and i dont think its been used much (if at all )as a parent ,go figure ,maybe i should ? Cheers Jack

o

Hi All,

I don't have 'Roerhs best red' Very nice plant as Jack. I should add this plant to my collection.

I agree with Lyndi 'Magali' is the very nice big red brom. but i don't know which one is the biggest.

Lyndi, your plants are stunning. I like your big red Neo. Lambert's Pride X Carcharodon.

As the previous post about big Neos. I have some big red neos. hybrid Fairchild x Isabel cv.Buckingham. It is very big about 3 feet across which from it's mother 'Fairchild' and purple red from pollen plant.

Fairchild x Isabel cv.Buckingham 1
Fairchild x Isabel cv.Buckingham

Fairchild x Color Parade is another big red neo. nearly 3 feet across.
Fairchild x Color Parade A1

I do some experiment about sun tolerance. Because sunbeam in tropic as Thailand are very hot and bromeliads are easy to burn if place them full sun especially during summer. I want to creat Neo. that can tolerate very hot sun-ray.;-)

Cheers
Yong

o

i wonder if 'roehrs best' is the same as 'roehrs best red'?

i just ordered one along with a roehrs best x johannis rubra.

o

Thanks for the photo, vriesea and Tamera. 'Roerhs best red' is awesome! Wow, I would love to have that plant for my collection!

Yong, your neos are so beautiful and big.

Xuan

o

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the picture Tamera, it really is a nice, big, attractive plant as Jack said.

Yong, nice pic's of your three big plants. Are they hybrids from your crossings?

All the best, Nev.

o

HI Plantaholic ,to answer your question ,yes they are the same plant, when i got mine years ago ,it was labeled as 'Roehrs Best Red ' but now most people seem to drop the Red bit from the label,i hope you will get the corrct article,X with Johannis 'Rubra ' should be big,bold and beautyfull, Jack

o

Hi everyone,

I was just admiring some of my recent brom purchases and realised that I was looking at one called Neo. 'Big Red' .... and thought, hmmmm, that's a big red Neo! I should have thought of it before.

New pup of Neo 'Big Red' in 30cm pot - just starting to fill out and develop colour after a few weeks in full sun. Seller's parent plant was in full sun in southern Queensland and was a violent hot pink-purple-red.
Photobucket

I agree with Graeme on Bobby Dazzler, great plant. This one is grown hard around at a mate's place. It's about 65cm across and beautifully filled in with brilliant colour - picture doesn't capture just how vibrant it is. Now I've got to try to grow mine like that!
Photobucket

And Jack, I'm glad you've reminded me of 'Roehr's Best Red'. I've been meaning to get my hands on one for ages - guess I'll just have to force myself! Cheers, Paul

o
pics

here is roehrs best red and roehrs best red x joahannis rubra

roehrs best red and roehrs best red x johannis rubra

and red grande

red grande

o

Hey! Thanks for the pictures!

lyndi

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here