Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lraley

A newbie here. Need some help!!!

lraley
12 years ago

I have just purchased my first few Bromeliads. Now I need your help in planting them....I usually put plants in regular potting soil bought in a large bag. I wanted to plant my Brom's in pots so I could put them in the green house over the winter (I live in zone 8). What is the best compost mixture for planting (I saw somewhere to mix with pine bark)....Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (6)

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Well draining soil. Many orchid mixes work very well.

• splinter1804
    12 years ago

Hi everyone,

Iraley - There are as many different potting mixes for bromeliads as there are growers. Everyone has their own special mix which they say is the best, but it's up to the individual grower to make/buy a mix that suites their own environmental requirements.

HDD hit it right on the head with those two words "well draining". That's the basis of all good bromeliad mixes.

If you consider what type of bromeliads you are growing, they will be mainly from one of two groups; those that "in habitat" grow on trees or rocks, and those that grow in the soil.

I can't advise on the ones that grow in the soil as I don't grow those types, but the ones that grow on trees have good air circulation around the roots continually. If we put one of these in a pot we need to make sure that the mix is open and well draining so air can still get to the roots as well.

Here in Australia there is a cymbidium orchid mix which I have found very good. It's just very simply, aged composted pine bark. It's free draining and will last the life of the plant until it requires repotting and is reasonably priced.

If you want to make your own mix; Pine bark, charcoal, polystyrene granules, Perlite, Coco-Peat chunks and many other different ingredients are all used in various ratios in mixes throughout the country, with pine bark usually being the basis of the mix.

In the wet tropics here, brom's are just grown in straight volcanic rock or plain river gravel so they drain immediately and can't become waterlogged.

Remember, overwatering is the main danger to bromeliads and what ever you use must be free draining

All the best, Nev.

• lraley
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok, this is what I did!!! I bought pine bark nuggets and Miracle Grow potting soil. I placed the bottom 2-3 inches in the bark and planted the top with the soil. Hope this works. I did not bury the plant too deep....

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Make sure they have roots before to much water is applied to the root area. Remember broms get water from their cups also. Plant them deep enough that they will stand up by themselves and press all the air from the soil area around the roots. Broms that like to grow on wood will need help staying erect until they form roots.

• mgalea
    12 years ago

I live in SW Florida and am in the process of creating a bromeliad garden. I have an area that I've surrounded by rocks and I want to plant the bromeliads within. because the soil here is so bad I've decided to use plastic pots with the bottoms cut out for the plants. then i will place them in the garden and surround them with existing soil so that the tops of the pots are barely visible. I bought some potting soil which looks very peaty and based on what i've read here that not a good soil for bromeliads. would it be ok to add to the potting soil, some pine bark that i've crushed into smaller pieces and perhaps some sand to make it a well draining medium? thanks

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

I would not use potting soil in a bed. It floats in heavy rain. Its better to get a compost soil and mix it with pine bark mulch(fine to medium grade size). Dont use the pots as the roots will be growing into the soil anyway. The only way I would use pots(with bottoms in tact) is if they need to be pulled in winter for freezing temps. And the soil wouldnt be needed, just the mulch to make the bed look natural.

Sponsored
More Discussions