Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

ideas or plans for tables for bromeliads

plantaholic
14 years ago

i just finished enclosing my patio in glass to house my 800 bromeliads. my next project is to build tables. anyone have any plans, ideas, or suggestion? i was thinking about framing wire cattle fence panels (they are 16 x 5 ft).

any advice would be grewatly appreciated. i would like to do it economically.....therefore i would have more money to buy more bromeliads! LOL

Comments (35)

• matt15
    14 years ago

plantaholic i'm in the process of building some tables/shelving myself and am still sourcing my materials.
    The names may change here in Aust but i'm of the opinion that Weld mesh panels are by far the best solution. These can sit directly on besa blocks/bricks or on a metal frame/fabrication.

Weld mesh comes in many forms/sizes and is widely used as general fencing. The term u used "cattle fence panels" suggests this fencing maybe overkill being more expensive and much more stronger to hold cattle as opposed to just potted plants.
    Best of luck and let me know what you end up building.
    Matt

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

matt....im thinking im using these welded wire fence panels. check out this link. i was also contemplating other welded wire (like 4 inch x 2 inch.....sorry for the non-metrics LOL)

Here is a link that might be useful: cattle fence panel

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

I have weldmesh on my benches and found I had to cover with a smaller netting as the pots were not stable.
    It gives plenty of ventilation though.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yes I use weld mesh ,about 3 x 2 inch ,small pots are unstable on it , for middle benches ,6 ft wide is good but for benches against walls ,3 ft wide is best as thats as far as you can reach across comfortably. Jack

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I was thinking of getting some of these Durabench panels. They are a bit pricey at $9+/each + shipping in small quantities, but I don't need too many so I might try them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dura bench

• matt15
    14 years ago

Bromadams
    Those Durabench panels are fantastic and cheap. Unfortunately i'm unable to source any over here in Aust which is a shame.

Plantaholic
    Yes those fencing panels look exactly the same.
    I've been looking for the same grade weld mesh as used in the Peters Glen shade houses. http://www.petersglenshadehouses.com/
    I've been quoted roughly $60 AUS for panels 3m x 600mm which is too expensive.
    Rick and I are on the hunt atm for old fencing panels 3m x 1200mm or simular which can then be cut in half for two shelves. These sell 2nd hand for between $15-35ea.

Sunshine_qld and Jack
    Thanks for the info guys. I hadn't considered the fact that the smaller sizes pots would be unstable. Sunshine_qld are you able to post a pic or give us more information about your solution?

Cheers Matt

• bromaholic
    14 years ago

Hey..A mate of my Dad's is in the steel fabrication business; so I have been VERY lucky in getting 'mate's rates' on him making me some benches I designed.

Best thing is he uses the smallest possible meshing available; approx 1" square, so pots are as stable as they can be.

He has made me about 10 of them now, varying sizes but basic same principle; Either a flat table like bench, or a 2 x tiered bench.

eg:
    {{gwi:507203}}

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hey Shane,

Great benches - I'm envious! That small mesh looks perfect. For years I've been using the light-gauge 1 inch square mesh you get in rolls for bird cages etc. Started off using it to hold 50mm tubes for orchids - couldn't find anything else that size years ago. It is relatively cheap and easy to work, but it needs supports every 20cm or so. That stuff you are using looks much heavier and nice and rigid. Hmmm, sets me thinking ...
    Cheers, Paul

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

Matt will take a pic tomorrow.

• plantaholic
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bromaholic......thats awesome. would love to have some tables like that!

• matt15
    14 years ago

bromaholic
    Shane your benches look fantastic and very professional. Contacts like that are always great to have. They actually look simular to these http://www.meshproducts.com.au/Page/brisbane-shade-houses-mesh-folding-cutting-trimming
    Unfortunately those these products are far from my budget.

sunshine_qld
    Look forward to seeing your pictures.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Hi Plantholic, Matt, Paul, Jack, sunshine and Bromadams.
    I use wledmesh of the largest guage with the smallest holes (forget exact size, but thats what I ask for) I cut them in two, for side tables, and in thirds for tiered tables. I use 8 besser blocks to support them and thats where the cost comes in. If you buy it all in bulk, however, you can save quite a bit.
    {{gwi:507205}}
    My brom pots are usually 140mm or larger, and the smaller pots are hung or attached to the mesh on the wall, so no tipsys. Also, my Brom mix is light weight (pearlite and bark help) so the pots are not so heavy to support. It works well for me, although those durabench panels look worth a go!
    B_A

• haxuan
    14 years ago

Brom adorer: you have a very nice collection and the display is so neat! Thanks for sharing.

Xuan

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi brom_adorer,

I'd like to congratulate you on such a neat and tidy collection, and so well presented!

Oh how I wish my collection looked as tidy, and with good spacing between plants as well.

Thanks for sharing, all the best, Nev.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Oh yes they are neat and tidy ,but time marches on and collections grow and room dissapears ,this has happened to all of us,Good show B.A

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Hi! brom_adorer,

Thanks for the idea! Me too need to fabricate a display table to replace overturned pots which I have been using to prop up all my broms. I think I will use pvc grids instead since they are easily available here.

Picture of a bench at a local nursery with the said pvc grid
    {{gwi:507206}}

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

Sorry this took so long as I have had a lovely granddaughter born Friday.
    {{gwi:507207}}
    This mesh is the best size I have found to stop the pots falling
    {{gwi:507208}}
    This one is a pressed metal and the wire on the left is a bit big as the pots fall so I will have to replace it.
    {{gwi:507209}}
    This is part of my new Brom house. Have plenty of room at the moment.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Thanks Xuan and Nev on your kind comments, and yes Jack, those spaces are fast closing! he he. The shade house has been extended to double the size of the pic, and is now due for another extension. I have plenty of room to do this, but money is another matter entirely. And the dilemma is, do you spend money on Bromeliads or shade houses?
    The bromeliads have now begun to breed in the protected spots in the garden, and my shade house is purely a display area for my favourites. I have the fernery in use as the propagation house, with small pups and seedling e.t.c.
    Lyndi, i like your PVC grid. It reminds me of the bottom of a milk crate. What is the size of the grid panel?
    Congratulations Grandma Sunshine. Your benches look great too. I see some of my favourite broms there. The smaller wire over the larger mesh looks like a good solution to the falling pots. Are you saying it doesn't work all that well?
    happy brom gardening you mob
    BA

• sunshine_qld
    14 years ago

Thanks BA. The small mesh works fine but the larger mesh on the lefthand bench in the 2nd picture is a bit large.
    You spend money on brom houses so you can spend more money on broms. LOL
    I started with a 4X4, then used the cement slab when the garden shed was moved 3X3, then an extension was added beside this 4X4. Lucky hubby is a welder and the steel for the last one was given to us. The bench tops are all different as we used what hubby had collected off different jobs over the years.
    I put most of my mums in the ground under trees after taking the pups off. Usually get a couple more this way.

• vriesea
    14 years ago

To answer your question B.A as to what to spend your money on , you will know the answer when you get a vicious hailstorm ,but you can minimise costs by just putting up some sturdy posts ,and stretch shade cloth over for a roof , that does a good job ,

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Each PVC Grid measures approximately 25" X 14" (65cm X 34 cm). Each small square is 5cm X 5cm or 2" square. The grids come with interlocking features. We use them for mounting platycerium as shown below:-

{{gwi:507210}}

We have another square honeycomb version. Will take a picture tomorrow.

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Sunshine, I like the fact you have recycled and re-used. I wish we had some left over things around, as its been an expensive exercise. I think of it as a good investment (re-jacks warning about hail) and I get alot of enjoyment, as I have a table and chairs in there, where I can sit and enjoy a cuppa or breakfast on sunday. It started as a 3 x 3 metre, then went to 6 x 3, now is 6 x 6 and still growing! We use scaffolding clamps to join the galvanised pipes, and can go out/up/accross in any direction, so its very versatile, and fully portable if it needs to be moved (not in my lifetime) he he.
    Lyndi, they look like a great idea! I've been using pieces of polystyrene board to mount my (very small) stag horns on. Where do you get your grids from? And for what purpose are they made? Are they for flooring? (in wet areas) They'd be good for the floor of a shade house for a temporary solution to a slippery area.
    Jack, I'm growing some Bamgalow palms in the garden, with the intention of stretching a shadecloth sail between them to protect the brom from the gum trees. It might take awhile, but the incidents of damage by the gums, is much higher than the damage by the hail storms so far. The first shade house was erected about 2 weeks before the storm with the baseball sized hail, wasn't that a bit of luck?
    Looking forwrd to more ideas if anyone has some?
    BA

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Yes B.A that was a bit of luck ,you can control the gum trees, but not the hail , as for growing the palms ,that will take a while ,stick the posts in and do it ,we are aproaching our storm season and tommorrow maybe to late ,been there done that,you dont wait to get swimming lessons untill your drowning hmmm? best of luck ,B.A

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Its ok Jack, I'm onto it! I haven't put any Broms there yet, so all is well. The protected spaces are filling up quickly, thats for sure. I've been raking up sticks and debris now for weeks,trying to keep the garden looking nice for summer.
    ps, I can swim like a fish! he he
    BA

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Managed to set up my stand for my plants. The nursery told me the grids are imported from Thailand and they are customised with interlocking features.

The completed stand though I would prefer it to be higher.
    {{gwi:507211}}

{{gwi:507212}}

{{gwi:507213}}

• vriesea
    14 years ago

Beautyfull display Lyndi ,just beautyfull ,and B.A am glad you can swim , cheers Jack

• splinter1804
    14 years ago

Hi Lyndi,

Thanks for sharing your wonderful display of colour with us, it's really mouth-watering.

All the best, Nev.

• haxuan
    14 years ago

sunshine qld: Congratulations on your new grandkid! And thanks for sharing photos of your plants.

Lyndi: ooohhhhh that's a fabulous collection of neos! They look so happy so healthy!

Xuan

• matt15
    14 years ago

B_A, sunshine_qld & lyndi_whye
    Thankyou all for posting your photos. You've all certainly given me some ideas for materials in building these tables.

sunshine_qld congrats on the new arrival and lucky you having a handy hubby. Certainly if you have access to old materials and a welder its amazing what you can build.

lyndi you have some gorgeous broms and those interlocking grids are perfect. I might keep hunting for them over here in Aus. Was there a particular name used when you purchased them?

Cheers Matt

• matt15
    14 years ago

lyndi i've only been able to find a product called Dura-Bench which looks very simular to the product your using. Unfortunately all online links are OS from Australia thou but i'll keep hunting.

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Matt,

Sorry for the late reply. There is no trade name for these grids. I couldn't find any logo or trademarks on them either. I only know they are customised design and imported from Thailand and I pay @$5.00 SGD for them. I am able to find another type which does not have the interlocking feature for @$3.50 from another nursery.
    It might help if you check with Australian nurseries which import plants from Thailand, perhaps nurseries carrying plumerias, adeniums or bougainvilleas. Good luck!

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Lyndi, your display is marvelous! Although you are not completely happy with the height, at least it is allowing for some air movement, which is the main thing I guess.
    I recently saw someone using foam boxes (from fruit shops or fish mongers) turned upside down and placed together to form benches. They seemd to work fine too.
    I wondered if those connectable decking panels would be any good? I thought they might make a grid one of some kind?
    BA

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

Brom_adorer

I guess you can use any suitable materials. I have to further secure the panels together with wire ties even though they come with interlocking. Another place you can look for such materials is the pond supplies shops.

*Thanks to everyone for your compliments on my plants and setup!

• bromadams
    14 years ago

I just got a few of these goofy plastic things. They are supposed to be used in the lawn to allow you to drive over the grass without ruining it but as soon as I saw them at the hardware store I thought they would work just fine as table tops. I just need to build some tables but so far I think they'll work just fine. I can walk on them so they are pretty sturdy. They are just about the same price as the Dura-Bench panels but a lot easier for me to get at this point.

{{gwi:507214}}

• lyndi_whye
    14 years ago

I am glad you found something. They look a lot thicker and better quality than mine, should be very durable and will last a long long time.

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone
More Discussions