Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
guzmania bromeliad care quesitons

Posted by sevrel CA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 26, 09 at 18:38

I've noticed some tiny black winged insects hopping around on the surface of the soil of my plant. From what I've been able to find out through reading these are probably fungus gnats. Can anyone recommend an effective way to stop the larvae from hatching (preferably organic)?

Also my plant seems to be rotting and decaying along the edges of the leaves in the "cup" area. I've read this can be a result of keeping water in the cup, but I am confused because it seems one camp of people advising keeping water in the cup and another says it is not a good idea.

Would it be worth trying an alternative for awhile, like misting once a week rather than keeping water in the cup? Or is there some other way I might treat this problem?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: guzmania bromeliad care quesitons

Hi sevrel,

Although I'm not an expert in these matters, I have a couple of suggestions for you to consider.

Is it standing in a saucer where it always has contact with water? If this is the case then it probably has 'wet feet' which will possibley lead to rot.

Has it possibly been exposed to CCA treated wood? i.e. drips from overhead CCA treated timber beams, leaves touching a CCA treated wood product or perhaps a mulch of wood shavings or chips from CCA treated wood.

Is it or has it been in contact with any other copper products (copper is very bad for broms)

Have you sprayed it with a fungicide containing copper? If so it will have a similar effect, unless the copper component of the spray is very low.

Has it been over fertilized? Sometimes this can manifest itself with leaf dieback.

I can't think of anything else at the moment but these are all things to consider, but it would be easier for the experts on this site to help if you posted a picture of the plant in question.

All the best, Nev.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here