Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
very old Till. duratii

Posted by gonzer calzone 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 19:09

This guy is at least 30 years old, I've had it for 25. Notice the stem which has had to be glued back numerous times. This is what I mean about cleaning Tillandsias, sometimes you can ruin the character of the plant by clipping old stems.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: very old Till. duratii

Hey Gonzer, this is so beautiful?

I hjave a seven year old duratii that looks nothing like yours. I can see that yours has more than one pup. Mine has always been a one-for-one mother for pup replacement, so i never get more 'branches'.... idea?

o

My duratii is winding around in a tree and growing at a good pace. I can't image what it will be like in 25 years.

Gonzer, how are the billbergia babies doing?

o

Spectacular, Gonz!

o

very nice specimen, Mr. Gonzer. how often does it bloom to you?.

my biggest one has just passed away (was about one foot long). =(

they just hate water plus full shade (the tree where it was, grew a lot and blocked all direct sun, sniff) so it rotted away in a couple weeks while I was out of home.

got a couple smaller ones.

o

It flowers about every two years. The lower plant actually pushed through the center of the previous inflorescence. I had never seen this in Tillandsias. Also, if you can see, it is pushing another flower spike.
The Billbergia babies are making like rabbits! Darn that Lisa! I'll show them off tomorrow.

o

I see, it does flower very often then. I originally thought it took at least 8 years to do so. And the flower is really nice, believe there was one flowering (nice aroma) also in the san diego bromeliad society show. Ill take better care of mine ones in the future since is such a interesting plant. Thank you Gonzer.

o

Like the Welwitschia of Tillandsia's.In 25 years what's the lowest temp it has taken?..how did it put up with those El Nino years when you got almost 30" of rain?
Is that a Alex palm(silver undersides) next to it?

o

Stan, when it looked like I was going to have to build an Ark a few years back I just move him under shelter. It did withstand sub-freezing temps in 2006.
The palm is the Sugar Palm, Arenga engleri.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here