Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Please help me ID this Bromeliad

Posted by fieldofflowers 3 or 4a (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 19:42

I got this from a local conservatory marked as Cryptantus Fosterina.

Upon researching I realized right away this doesn't appear to be correctly labeled. It isn't a Cryptantus. The lady in charge of the bromeliads was just as stumped as I was. She figured it could be any of the two families that produce pineapples. According to her, this plant will produce some small ones, but very sour and nasty to eat. (her experience, lol)

Both of us have exhausted our resources trying to find out what this plant is, or even what family to look for. This is why I am here. Wondering if any of you can recognize this plant?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Please help me ID this Bromeliad

Just a guess here from another northern grower...it may be x Anamea 'Scorpio', a bigeneric. Below is a link to the Florida Council's brom pictures. You'll need to scroll down the left index to the bigeneric area to find it.

Since it's a bi-generic, it's only half pineapple, so it probably does make nasty fruit. You'll be able to identify it better once it blooms, so you may want to re-post it then when you can see flower color, etc.

Bob

Here is a link that might be useful: Florida Council Brom Pix

o

Thank you. I'll have to ask the lady at the conservatory or make sure to bring my camera along if the others are still in bloom. I don't go there until another two weeks from now.

o

FCBS.org is great place to start. I doubt it makes a fruit if it is
'Scorpio' it will have flower similar to an Aechmea which turns into a pup.

o

I forwarded this post to the lady from the conservatory who tends these. She thinks x Anamea 'Scorpio' is highly likely, but said it won't be until at least a year before they bloom again. So I guess it won't be until a year I can post a follow-up if I remember.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here