Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mums rooted

Posted by sid_marx NZ (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 20:17

Hi, I am new to this forum and have a bromeliad question...

Does the root system developed by the mother plant continue to live and nourish the pups after the mother dies?

I have noticed that the root systems of clumps of broms don't seem to suffer any die off when mother plants perish, they just seem to keep developing as if the plant they were originally anchored to was still there.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mums rooted

Actually I think the roots do continue to nourish the pups after the mother is gone. I was waundering around in a friends hoop house awhile back and saw a pot with a couple of stumps Neo. punctissima it it surrounded by pups. The mother plants had obviously been gone quite awhile since most of the pups had pups

o

Welcome to the forum S M we need more from NZ considering the number of 'brom addicts' here we have a low representation, where abouts do you live?. I agree with above if you want to keep the original roots but have found the pups do better operating off there own root system for nice healthy plants but by leaving the pup on towards the end of the mother plants live you tend to get a more stessed but often nicer color as we think it works in the opposite as the old roots give gradually less nutrient and finally will rot out and of course you will end up with less pups. even a old root will give up some new pups. Happy gardening

o

Thanks b too & jaga. I have only been growing broms for a couple of years and have much to learn! Jaga, I am in Mellons Bay, near Howick in Auckland, about a km from the ocean. We don't tend to suffer too much frost where we are but a few of my plants took a battering from the hail this winter.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here