Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
exotica_gw

Brom blog

exotica
14 years ago

Over the past year I've finally had the time to start sorting out, photographing and naming lots of my hybrids that I've produced over the last decade. When I had the bromeliad nursery I never had the time to do this, as the need to earn a dollar always took priority. What an absolute joy not to grow broms commercially anymore.

You can see photos of some of the hybrids, my nursery and the gardens at the old place on my blog at http://exoticabromeliads.blogspot.com. This photo is one of them, and the plant happens to be the parent of some of my hybrids such as Neo. 'Exotica Leprechaun'.

{{gwi:508015}}

As I get my gardens into shape here at our new property I'll post some photos of that.

The property is on half an acre of beautiful black peat loam, which grows broms really well, as anyone who has been to Mariposa Gardens just down the road from us will tell you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Exotica

Comments (7)

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

Very Nice Andrew. I looked at your blog and pictures. Gee I wish I lived in NZ when you were selling up! I was born and bred in Auckland, but wasn't a gardener till moving here (coffs Harbour) about 8 years ago, and have only been brom-addicted for about 4 years, and only 2 years seriously. I enjoy filling every bit of space with broms, and having a couple of acres here, I can keep collecting for years to come.
    I only wish I had the nice soil of which you speak, as here its light grey clay, similar to concrete! I find leaving the broms in their pots and planting into a mound of bark is quite adequate.
    Anyway, thanks for sharing.
    BA

• exotica
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you BA, I have to agree with you about the soil, that was at the top of my list when we were looking for a new property. Most of the this district has heavy clay like yours, which is why so many potters live here! I hated the soil at my last place with a passion.

• rickta66
    14 years ago

Andrew,

Nice blog, I always love to see Broms in gardens, the Alcantarea on your sign was quite amazing. Like BA, I would have loved a piece of your clearance sale.

Please keep the photos coming of your new place.

I'll have to go back and have a good look at some of your old archives.

Cheers,

Rick

• brom_todd
    14 years ago

That Alcantarea did look pretty impressive, especially when the sun was shining through the inflorescence.
    {{gwi:508016}}

I was always surprised by how many people didn't notice it though..

• kerry_t_australia
    14 years ago

Thanks for the interesting read, Andrew. After all those years in the retail business, it's good that your passion has not died.
    Good luck and happy days with your new garden. Keep us posted, please?

Oh, and I LOVE that alc on the sign!

K :)

• paul_t23
    14 years ago

Hi Andrew,

That Alc. sure looks happy as - I guess there's nothing like a bit of good air movement! Thanks for the link and thanks for your books. They are a continuing inspiration. Even after a couple of years with your second book and many full re-reads, I still frequently pick it up just for a good drool, and the comparative info on groups of similar plants is great food for thought. Cheers, Paul

• brom_adorer
    14 years ago

I think those books were a great influence on me too! I have both, and pick them up quite often for a browse. I find that I have collected alot of what you have photographed/mentioned in the books, but not realised untill the next reading session! It must be subliminal?
    They really are beautiful books Andrew. And they filled an obvious need for us bromeliaddicts
    BA

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions