Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
my queens tears bromeliads look a hot mess!

Posted by cardarlin 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 10, 10 at 21:35

I have a group of Queens Tears Bromeliads I recieved in a trade last month. They've been adjusting well. The only gripe I have is that they look TERRIBLE. Some of the outside leaves have brown spots all over and they are bent with a crease or many creases. The middle has a lot of dead leaves but I tug at them and their pretty firmly attached still. I didn't want to do anything drastic without inquiring here first. Is there a way to clean these guys up so they look halfway decent through this winter?

Also, What kind of fertilizer should I use and when. I'm new to bromeliads.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Queens Tears

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: my queens tears bromeliads look a hot mess!

If they are in a heavy potting mix I would put them in a light loose mix like aged bark and use a tall pot with a shallow amount of soil. You can trim out the bad looking leaves. Mine grow like weeds potted like this for 10+ years. I clean them up about twice a year and add small amounts of aged bark a tiny bit of time release fertilzer.

o

I have them in an orchid potting mix but its full of mix not shallow. I might change that. Will an orchid fertilizer be good for this bromeliad? I read somewhere that you can use that.

o

Orchid fertilizer is what I use, and usually the broms sit in a orchid mix too. Also, many of the well grown specimens I've purchased from the local bromeliad societies were simply planted in cypress mulch and light soil. I'm not endorsing it, but its worked fine in my experience.

o

I use Miracle Gro and lots of Florida sunshine.It's the week before Christmas and mine just bloomed..LB

o

hotdiggity, would you consider trading some of those QTs for some thornless prickly pear.??? molly /sewnmom7@yahoo.com

o

EBay is a very inexpensive way to buy this plant. I just had to thin out the prickly pears..they grow wild here around the palms.

o

*Liked!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here