Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cardarlin

my queens tears bromeliads look a hot mess!

cardarlin
13 years ago

I have a group of Queens Tears Bromeliads I recieved in a trade last month. They've been adjusting well. The only gripe I have is that they look TERRIBLE. Some of the outside leaves have brown spots all over and they are bent with a crease or many creases. The middle has a lot of dead leaves but I tug at them and their pretty firmly attached still. I didn't want to do anything drastic without inquiring here first. Is there a way to clean these guys up so they look halfway decent through this winter?

Also, What kind of fertilizer should I use and when. I'm new to bromeliads.

Thanks

Here is a link that might be useful: Queens Tears

Comments (7)

• hotdiggetydam
    13 years ago

If they are in a heavy potting mix I would put them in a light loose mix like aged bark and use a tall pot with a shallow amount of soil. You can trim out the bad looking leaves. Mine grow like weeds potted like this for 10+ years. I clean them up about twice a year and add small amounts of aged bark a tiny bit of time release fertilzer.

• cardarlin
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have them in an orchid potting mix but its full of mix not shallow. I might change that. Will an orchid fertilizer be good for this bromeliad? I read somewhere that you can use that.

• jaxtropix
    13 years ago

Orchid fertilizer is what I use, and usually the broms sit in a orchid mix too. Also, many of the well grown specimens I've purchased from the local bromeliad societies were simply planted in cypress mulch and light soil. I'm not endorsing it, but its worked fine in my experience.

• lab548
    11 years ago

I use Miracle Gro and lots of Florida sunshine.It's the week before Christmas and mine just bloomed..LB

• sewnmom7
    11 years ago

hotdiggity, would you consider trading some of those QTs for some thornless prickly pear.??? molly /sewnmom7@yahoo.com

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

EBay is a very inexpensive way to buy this plant. I just had to thin out the prickly pears..they grow wild here around the palms.

• lyndi_whye
    11 years ago

*Liked!