Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromadams

Orthophytum seedlings

bromadams
14 years ago

These 3 seedlings are right at 1 year old. These are the only 3 seeds to germinate from the 20 I sowed. I've always been concerned that these might be selfs and not the hybrids that I attempted. The seed parent was O. 'Warren Loose' and the pollen parent should be N cruenta rubra if not a self.

I've never grown an Orthophytum from seed so I'm not sure how they progress. But these don't look much like the adventitious pups which are about the same size. Can anyone with experience make the call: self or cross?

{{gwi:508650}}

Comments (5)

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

Too early to tell! Let's see them again a year from now. ;-)

If it'll help, I can think out loud here. First off, my own experience has been that most attempted bigenerics don't take, so I tend to look at them with that mindset. I'd have to see something that proved to me there was some Neo blood there in order to make that call, although it would certainly help to know if the Ortho was self-fertile or not. The regular O. gurkenii selfs, and I have grown them from seed, but I've never checked Warren Loose to see if there's any selfed seed there. I have it, so I could check.

At this stage, your seedlings don't look too different from gurkenii seedlings, although I would expect to start seeing a scurf pattern before too much longer. WL doesn't have the distinct bands of the standard gurk, though, so it might not be so obvious. There is some scurf there, but not enough to call it. When I crossed carcharodon Rubra (which is actually N. gigas) with carch. Tiger, the seedlings were surprisingly scurfy, not unlike yours (although they eventually grew out of it), so that doesn't preclude the cross having taken either.

The flat form is more typical of the Ortho than of most Neo seedlings, but carcharodon and related species do tend to start out flatter and more open than many other species, so it's not out of the question. Also both parents have prominent spines, so that's not much help either. There's no color there yet, but when there is, I would expect it to be a pinkish brown either way, so that probably won't tell you much either.

You'll just have to wait until you see what size and form they eventually settle into.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    14 years ago

On my OWL, the only seeds that I got were from the flowers that I crossed. Of course, I may have just self pollinated it when I made the cross. However, quite a few of the flowers that I did cross didn't produce seeds. Just going to have to wait and see. I'm glad I only have 3 seedlings to grow out. I know that the xNeophytum 'Hula Girl' pup that I have looks nothing like the mother I got it from and if I didn't know any better I might not keep it.

I do find most attempted bigenerics don't take, but I'd say that 20% do take and that's not bad. My problem is that I have no ability to visualize the outcome. I have plenty of bigeneric crosses that are growing well and I have no idea what I'll get. I do have a couple individual seedlings that are "muddled reddish-brown messes" but the entire grex isn't that. I'm not doing much culling at this point since I don't have any particular feature that I'm looking for. I tend to just cull the duplicates which isn't that many most of the time.

• LisaCLV
    14 years ago

I don't think you necessarily need to be able to visualize the results in a case like this, you just need to be patient. You've only got 3 seedlings, so space shouldn't be an issue. Early culling is only appropriate if a) you have a lot of seedlings, and b) you have certain very specific goals that can be identified early on.

There is a completely different dynamic at play when you're doing a cross as an experiment. In that case, if you want to learn anything, you have to grow them out at least to semi-maturity. I guarantee when they are mature you'll know if this cross took, so I see no advantage in jumping to any conclusions too soon.

• bromadams
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Looks like self set seed. R Paulsen, registered a few cultivars that he grew from self-set Warren Loose seed so it's been done before.

{{gwi:508652}}

{{gwi:508654}}

• LisaCLV
    13 years ago

Yup, that looks like pure Ortho at this point. The spination and scurf pattern of the first one in particular are very gurky.

BTW, I just reread my previous comments and realized you'd said N. cruenta Rubra and not carcharodon Rubra. It doesn't matter now, but that would have changed what to look for.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!
More Discussions