Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Squirrels digging in bromeliad pots

Posted by elpaninaro z8 TX (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 21:45

Evening all,

Having an unusual problem- it seems some squirrels are digging into the bromeliad pots on my patio. A rare issue with most of the plants, and I just refill the soil- no harm done.

However, I have a very large unusual form of Aechmea spectabilis (my prize plant) in a 10 inch pot that they are digging in with some regularity. Given the large amount of soil, they are making a huge mess. And since that is one of the ones only getting RO water- I have to soak a fresh batch of mix in RO water every time I need to replace soil.

Any ideas? I do not wish to be cruel, but for this one plant I am actually thinking about putting barbed wire on the surface of the potting mix to deter them. I have tried sporadic bits of broken clay pots, but that did not work and I do not want to cover the whole surface area of the soil with something heavy as that will hinder drying between waterings. Barbed wire seems the best solution, but again I am concerned about any rust leeching into the soil.

Grateful for any thoughts!

Tom.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Squirrels digging in bromeliad pots

Check the internet there a number of rodent deterants that won't harm them. Scents like bobcat are available. Seems they know when they smell a preditor and vamoose!

o

Hi everyone,

Tom - Why don't you try wrapping some of that black bird netting over the top of the pot. The worst it could do to the squirrels is get them caught up in the mesh, but once this happens I think they'd stay away. Also as it's black in colour it wouldn't detract from the looks of your plant very much either.

All the best, Nev.

o

Good suggestions both! Many thanks- I think either of those will work well. Now on to the hardware store!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here