Return to the Bromeliad Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big Bromalaid project

Posted by GreenPhase 8OR.Metro (My Page) on
Sat, Oct 27, 12 at 22:33

I have worked with a lot of different kinds of plants but have never gotten into or had a brom. before. I find identification very confusing for this kind of plant and would love any help with this one!
I went over to a friend�s house for a major plant maintenance project and ended up taking apart a huge plant that is about 30 years old. The growing conditions aren�t perfect so there are no colors for help. I also have never seen it flower. From the way the flower is described it sounds more like a leafy growth with a tall stem, like a guzmania, but way bigger. It has stout spikes that marked my arm up while repotting. The leaf ends are more rounded and the leaves are floppy, but this might be due to lower light...
I am going to be bringing home a medium sized offset soon and would appreciate knowing what I'm working with. Any guesses or genre would be great to narrow my research. Thank you in advance :)
The picture below is before it was divided.
I will take a better pic of the offset once I get mine to help out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big Bromalaid project

Hi everyone

GreenPhase - Judging from your photo and what you say about the plant in it, I think it is Aechmea Fasciata (grown in low light).

It was one of the early Bromeliads to be brought into cultivation from its Brazilian habitat in 1826, and since then many millions have been commercially grown annually for sale in many of the bromeliad growing countries throughout the world.

It is still one of the most popular and highest selling bromeliads in the world and there would be very few bromeliad collections that don't include a plant of Ae. Fasciata.

It also grows well when mounted in trees such as the Peppercorn Tree in my garden (see pic)

All the best, Nev.

o

Thanks! They said it was a pink flower!
Those sure are pretty and look right at home in that tree :)
Any specific care through your own experience? And does this species have any strengths or weaknesses I should know about?

o

Loose, gritty soil. My soil has Turface, perlite, grit and pine bark in more or less equal amounts with perhaps 10% potting soil. I summer mine on a screen porch where they get about 2 hours of direct sun and winter them in an east facing window. Although I'll water the soil sometimes, I mostly water in the cup.

My third generation of Aechmea fasciata.

Photobucket

Photobucket

I do like those blooms.

tj

o

Thanks guys!
One of my biggest concerns now is how I change out the water in the center and if I have to or not. What's a process that doesn't make a big mess? And should the water be special in any way? tap work?

o

Just flush it out with a hose. Any good clean water will work. Or turn it upside down and dump it and then fill the cups half full. I do mine atleast every 3 weeks and more often in high temps.

o

Since my city water has fluoride and chloramine, neither of which dissipates, I use collected rain water.

Evaporation usually empties the cups for me.

tj

o

Thanks! All the help has been great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bromeliad Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here