Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanofh

Aechmea blanchetiana hardniness?

I want to order one..any idea how hardy it is? Do they do well in a warm Sunset zone 17? I've seen some photo's of really tall plants..what can I expect? Is that normal or are the very big ones some subspecies?

And-what happened to Gonzer? havent seen a post from him in ages.

Comments (8)

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Stan they do well in the heat and sun and dislike anything below 40F for the most part

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They sound more tropical then most. I think wintering them on the porch and summers in the sun is best. Until I get enough growth to try out in the yard. Thanks!

• User
    12 years ago

Still around Stan. Not to contradict what HD said but my big clumps made it through our big freeze of '07 with minimal scorching. Check Michael's and see if he still has the red clone, it's a doozy.

• hotdiggetydam
    12 years ago

Stan, maybe its related to humidity and cold ratio but my red clone clumps I lost to 36 degrees. Glad yours survived gonz.

• stanofh 10a Hayward,Ca S.F. bay area
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hey Gonzer-Que pasa!
    I imagine the red clones are a level higher in tenderness. As always-the more tropical looking,the more tropical. Why we all go for the exceptions to the rules..or look for them.
    Thanks guys-I'm gonna check the price on the red clones..and the regular is within my budget.

• houstonpat
    12 years ago

Any kind of frost will permenantly damage the leaves. Mature leaves, in my garden, run 5-6ft. The color is directly affected by sunlight levels. More shade = yellow to green. More sun = light red to dark red. As usual if you move one from shade into direct scorching sun it will burn the leaves off. It seems to best develope over a summer moving into increasingly bright light.
    {{gwi:509158}}

• bahia
    12 years ago

It didn't prove hardy for me grown outdoors year round here in Berkeley, and I don't know of anyone in the local SF Bromeliad Society who has kept one alive through multiple winters outdoors in the bay area. I did have a friend growing this for two years down in Atherton, but she eventually lost it to cold/rot. My guess is that it doesn't do well with the cold and wet in combination. If you had a very sunny south facing protected porch, you might want to try one, but I am willing to bet it won't keep full color through the winter unless it receives at least 6 hours of direct winter sun. I've had better luck with large colorful foliage bromeliads such as Portea 'Jungles' which attains similar size and also colors up deep red, and will take some winter rain and cold without rotting out. Aechmea blanchetiana seems to prefer it warmer and drier in winter. Alcantarea imperialis rubra is also much easier to grow in Sunset zone 17 conditions in my experience.

• philofan
    12 years ago

Yes, I had one once and lost it.

The best of the aechmeas for gardens here are the recurvatas and hybrids. Have you tried any of those, Stan?

For bigger plants with color, try Aechmea burgundy, which grows like a weed for me (I just pulled a big clump out).

Also, Neoregelia cruenta rubra has done pretty well for me--and it keeps its color in lower light.

Sponsored
More Discussions