Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bromadams

RoRo vs Highway Beauty

bromadams
15 years ago

Does anybody know the history behind Peter Huddy's two Vriesea hybrids RoRo and Highway Beauty? I picked up a pretty nice RoRo this week and I can't see any reason to get Highway Beauty since it so similar. If the Bromdex is accurate these two share a common parent, saundersii.

{{gwi:509211}}

Comments (8)

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

RoRo's other parent is platynema, where Highway Beauty has bituminosa as the other parent and grows up to be a much larger plant due to the bituminosa influence. That is according to Andrew Steens and he has pictures of the two of them (both albo-marginated)in his new book. I also have the variegated vorms of both of them and should be able to tell you the difference between them, size-wise, in a couple of years. What I did find is that both of them get much nicer colour grown in very bright light, even with a bit of direct sun.

Japie

• rickta66
    15 years ago

Bromadams,
    Nice looking RoRo.

I have been told that HighwayBeauty is a prolific pupper and makes a good landscape plant.

I have either a HighwayBeauty or a RoRo -it has just finished flowering, the plant is 70cm wide and 35-40cm high. Does anyone know which plant I have got?

thanks,
    Rick

{{gwi:509213}}

{{gwi:459521}}

{{gwi:509215}}

• jaga
    15 years ago

Japie,
    You are correct and yes both are great plants, 'RoRo'is smaller than 'Highway beauty'but does have slighty wider leaves. There is also a Albomarginated version of 'Highway Beauty'. Highway Beauty also will Novar so dont sell or give away your pups till you make sure you have a good one.

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Jaga -Now I'm really confused. In a previous post I asked what Nova meant and now I see you saying a plant will also Novar. Is this a different word? and what is it's meaning?
    All the best. Confused Nev.

• avane_gw
    15 years ago

Nev, the term 'Novar' is used when a variegated plant gives a pup with NO VARiegation. The possibility is there that the 'Novar' pup may still produce variegated pups when it grows up but the possibility is slim.

Nova is a name given to a particular clone of Vr gigantea seideliana which looked a bit different to the parent. Nothing to do with variegation.

Japie

• splinter1804
    15 years ago

Japie - Well now that's cleared up I can settle down and drool over the forum pics once more, thanks a lot Japie and Lisa for sorting me out. All the best, Nev.

• jaga
    15 years ago

Thanks for sorting that Japie.

• brom_adorer
    12 years ago

crikey, Its been awhile since I've visited these forums, but i am having some trouble seeing the difference between Highway beauty and RoRo also. Shouldn't the fact that they have two different parentages-s-s make them look suitably different? By the way rick, your plant is stunning.
    Japie, a couple of years have passed now, any noticeably differences in your two as they grew?
    Sue

Sponsored
More Discussions