Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

Neoregalia flowering

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

I've had this Neoregalia for a number of years. It was called "Black ..." something or other but I've forgotten. The leaf blade tips are red.

{{gwi:509698}}

It's multiplied over the years and some are now up in trees. Problem is, up in trees you don't see any of the flowering.

{{gwi:509700}}

{{gwi:509702}}

Flower buds forming under water

{{gwi:509704}}

Comments (4)

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

Plant in the 4th photo doesn't appear to be the same as the first 3 photos. It shows variegation

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, I see the difference in appearance. Interestingly, the plant in the 4th photo is the same as the one in the 3rd, and they all came from the same parent plant that I got at least 4 to 5 years ago. They'd be getting about the same amount of light. The first is in soil though, all the others in trees. Maybe that has something to do with it. I'll have to take a closer look at all the ones in the trees and see if it's consistent.

• hotdiggetydam
    11 years ago

Some variegated hybrids can revert but I don't see that in this group. I have Neo 'Pink on Black' but it is a stable variegated clone for me. Depends on the source you got your plant from as to the 'black' part of the name...it could be one of many but it would need alot more light to develop the full color. Did you photo the plant when you first got it?

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I checked the other plants. Only one of the larger ones in a tree has that same variegated pattern, the smaller ones (in the trees) don't.

Also checked back over my photos but couldn't find an early one of the parent Brom. Chances are I just missed it. Usually I get photos of everything. That's what makes it so difficult to find anything, just too many photos to look through. But I've probably had it 6 or 7 years. (Amazing, but I didn't realise I've had this place about 9.5 years now. Time flies.)

It's always difficult with sun exposure here. A lot of the year things just cook. That's one of the reasons I've been moving them up into trees more recently. That extra bit of unhindered air movement seems to make a big difference. After losing things previously I'd decided it was better to have plants less colourful in the shade than coloured and dead in the sun.